NASA Mid-West and Great Lakes Website

www.nasagreatlakes.com/
www.nasamidwest.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Post Putnam Park wrap-up

Post Putnam Park wrap-up 12 years, 11 months ago #10824

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
One thing I'm beginning to learn about the midwest is that you can count on it raining, always.
Last weekends event at Putnam turned out to be a wet one, yet again. This meant that not only did I have to learn the track in a hurry, I had to pick up the wet line as well.

We had pretty good showing too, w Neil, Eric, Sid, Tom, Angel, Sam, Ken, Joel and myself, I was looking forward to some good racing. Unfortunately, Joel's car was sick early on and was unable to figure out why.

Saturday was dry most of the day until right before the race-typical. Everyone scrambled to get wets mounted, luckily Nick and Dennis of Bennington Motorsports were on hand to get the job done.

The race started off hectic, with cars spinning off everywhere. We were grouped w the GTS guys instead of the usual Spec Miata guys because of the large numbers the crossover event attracts.
Neal and Eric made a pretty quick getaway, and the rest of us scrapped it out for a few laps behind them. I did my best to hound Angel, but the wet finally caught me out and I went off. Way off. Sam went sailing past me.
I worked really hard for the next few laps to make up ground, but it wasnt until Neil lapped me that I had my "oooohh" moment, finally getting a glimpse of the proper rain line. I instantly picked up time, but didnt have much time to chase anyone down, maybe 2 or 3 laps.
It wasnt til the white flag came out that I finally saw Sam up ahead. Eric was closing in on me, about to put me a lap down as well. I followed Niels line as best I could, and by turn 5 still didnt think I had a chance to catch Sam, although I was much closer. It wasnt til the final turn that I saw my opportunity. Sam left me about half a cars width entering the final corner. I stuck my nose in there, and squeaked by. 4th place by less than 3 tenths.
Sunday was more of the same crappy weather. But we wised up. We had some great tutorial downloads using Neil and Erics data- this was incredibly eye opening. Qual was a disaster for me. Tons of traffic, and several offs- I felt faster but was worried the new speed came at a high risk of an off-track excursion. Well, better to spin in qual than in the race.
The study session paid off. I was 3 seconds faster than in the mornings practice, and now the 3rd place qualifer.
But there's a twist.
NASA decided to invert the grid, w first starting last, and visa versa.
I hadnt even past the start finish before Niel and Eric blew past me. I was anticipating this, but not this soon. The plan was to follow these two through traffic. Not so easy. I decided my ultimate goal was to keep on track, limit my drifting, and be there at the end. The opening laps saw plenty of cars spinning off. I tried to keep up w Eric, but my effort was futile. Soon the field stretched out. I didnt see much 944 action after that, but I had a great battle with a 968 til the checkers fell.
Kept it on track and finished 3rd!

[IMG]http://i897.photobucket[IMG]http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac171/dpracingdan/Spec%20944%20at%20Putnam%20Park%20w%20NASA/NickDennis.jpg

Re: Post Putnam Park wrap-up 12 years, 11 months ago #10832

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
Great write up Dan!
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: dpRacing Dan
  • Page:
Moderators: KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds