Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race

4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8100

So here is some information...
I had access to 4 Traqmates for our main race on Saturday. So with out asking or telling the drivers ahead of time the top four earned this special treat.

We will be talking about how we could use this tool in the future but for now Congratulations to our National Champion Dave Dirks for having the lowest HP of the top 4 .

This is not a perfect system just a tool .

AND Congratulations to all of our racers for no problems in Tech / impound !
The topic has been locked.

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8108

• rlofgren
  • Seasoned Racer
if i give you my data will you tell me where i fit in hp wise?
944-SPEC #30 Norcal 2010 Champion
944-SPEC #23 non sunroof
1990 944 S2 street
2003 Mini Cooper S
Lofgren Construction
leafbranch.com/

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8125

How did the data compare to the dyno results? I'm asking because I get off the wall hp and torque numbers. I don't know if I didn't get the weight/wheel size/ gear ratios etc. entered correctly but the rest of the data seems right on the money. Could your post or pm me the values you used?
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by spec944#74.

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8126

There are lots of variables that make it hard to dial things in very closely. The weight of the car changes through the race as you burn off fuel, for example. Drafting, wind conditions, wether the track is level, etc all affect the numbers that the TM puts out. Then there are the adjustments for rolling resistance, aero, etc. There is a set point in the TM for the frontal area & CD of a 944, but I doubt this calculation takes in to account the open windows we run. Then the 924S is slightly different again. These make for a lot more variables than putting a car on the dyno, and more variation in the reported HP output, from what I've seen on my own TM, and the other data I've seen personally.

Steve, were the numbers consistant from lap to lap on your car?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 7 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8133

Yea the numbers were all over the place. The TM guy who was running the numbers nailed Dirks's HP number right on compared to his dyno.

We used the standard CD and then used exit weight but the TM guy had 2 days to compare dyno to TM then he picked where to grab the HP number from. Maybe it was more art than science ...

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8138

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
Chuck - you might ask Snyder how they used the Traqmate units in TT to verify horsepower. He was working as a TT director for Nationals, and came away very impressed with how closely they were able to get the Traqmate readings to match the dyno readings.

I know that it took some configuration work to make it happen (though I'm not sure what all they had to do to set it up), but in the end it sounds like they were able to use the Traqmate to effectively accomplish what it sounds like you're looking to do, so it might be worth a conversation with Rick or some of the other TT directors from Nationals.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds