Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8185

The voice of reason...well said Joe.

I've raced in that other series where HP debates raged and it is no fun to feel like you are getting beat by bigger spenders.

I don't feel like that in Spec and I think the directors and the rules do a good job of keeping things fair.
The topic has been locked.

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8186

• Big Dog
  • Banned
This entire converstation is about engines. Where does car prep enter into this???

I did not have a first, second, third, fourth or fifth place car (or driver:( ). I did have a bundle of fun and learned a lot at Nationals.

Lessons learned:
1. Some cars turn in MUCH better than mine does.
2. Some cars go through the middle of the corner better than mine does (and not always the same car:ohmy: ).
3. Speed off the corner is way more important that speed into the corner.
4. Cool shirt water under the tires does not contribute to great corner speed:woohoo: .
5. Spending time during testing to "scrub in tires and brakes" vs working on car setup to fit a track may be a poor decision on pre-event priorities.

What does all of this mean to me? Equal cost, equal racing will never be possible because some will have better equipment (not just engines but torsion bars, shocks, etc.) and will have more testing time to work on set up. In So. Cal. Charlie has won every race he entered this year. Why??? He had no secrets this past year. He allowed a number of different guys to dirve his car this year and every one of them said that his car cornered better than their car did. Some said he "might" have more power but the most important thing was that his car handled better (and is he a better driver?). I know that he could follow me into a corner, turn under me, get on the gas sooner and drive past me. He even shared all of his alignment information and other set up information as well as what parts were on his car.

None of us has "equal tires", "equal alignment settings", equal sway bars", equal weight wheels", "equal A-arms", "equal frontal area", "equal testing", etc. etc. There are differences in model year cars and between 924 and 944 and between 944's. So what! We have always known and accepted that. I was not as good a driver as David, Tyler, Charlie, Scott or Darren this year at Nationals. I was not as good a driver for lots of reasons not just on the track. I made mistakes before I ever left for Miller and I made mistakes while I was there. I hope I learned. Those mistakes were more important, by a big margin, than their engines.

All this talk about engines is a distraction, in my opinion. Joe P. ran poorly for several years in Arizona. He rebuilt his engine and lead most of last years Championship race at Nationals. Did he "cheat" by rebuilding his engine, of course not. Will a fresh rebuild produce more power that one with more time, of course it will (or should). Is that ANY reason to prohibit a fresh engine to be raced? I think not.

We have a set of spec rules that are very specific about our engines. We can not do more. We do not need to do more. There will always be differences in cars, drivers, etc. Enjoy our racing. It is better than a day at the office.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8187

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Hear Hear
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8188

I agree, there are many varibles with setup and driver. Austin's car officaly Dyno'd at 126 HP and his sway-bar mount had broken away from the chassis.

Lessons Learned for us,

1. Always check for fatigued parts.

2. 126 HP can run up front.

Pete

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8189

• Big Dog
  • Banned
That C. Buzz guy had the same problem with one of his front sway bar mounts. I have never heard of this problem before and two at one event. Was there someone sneaking around at night and tampering with our cars????

That is my story on my issues, anyway.

How in the world can one tell that a part is fatigued. I looked at Charlie's part and don't believe I would have ever found it before it broke.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:4 traqmates used to gather HP data during race 13 years, 7 months ago #8232

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I thought I heard black helocopters one night but then I realized that they must have been UFO's (you can't hear black helos).
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion