Username Password: Remember me

Torsion Bars
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Torsion Bars

Torsion Bars 13 years, 1 month ago #10228

• seafeye
  • Senior Racer
Anyone know if it is possible to replace the torsion bars without removing the entire rear suspension? I have all new shocks, weltmeister bars etc.... Trying to avoid a two day project of ripping out the rear suspension.

Re: Torsion Bars 13 years, 1 month ago #10229

When I did my turbo I just dropped one side down at a time, there is room. I dont know if it was any faster, but its possible.
85.5 944 Spec #51 - Midwest
86 951

Re: Torsion Bars 13 years, 1 month ago #10230

• gmanz
  • Drivers Ed
If you are going to drill holes in the side of the car to gain access to the torsion bars later, couldn't you start by drilling the holes then take the cover off the outer housing and pull the original bars out that way. I think you could tack weld a nut or tab onto the bar while it's in place and then slide hammer it out. Or am I forgetting something? I just did the job on mine but pulled the whole housing out then drilled the holes wish I would have tried it then.
Walt Walton

Re: Torsion Bars 13 years, 1 month ago #10231

The guys who were helping me with my car welded a rod to the old torsion bars, then put a weight from a barbel set on that, and then a big nut on the end. Used as a slide hammer very easy to get the old springs out the side (through the holes I drilled in the side). I'll see if I can dig up a picture some where later.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Torsion Bars 13 years, 1 month ago #10233

There are many ways to get the t-bars out. However that is the easy part. The hard part is setting the angle of them. If you do it wrong you have to do it all over again.

I don't think dropping the rear suspension is hard. Just a few bolts.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Torsion Bars 13 years, 1 month ago #10235

• Robbie
  • Junior Racer
  • The dread pirate
I did it without "dropping" the rear suspension. I didn't drill holes, so I undid the bolts holding the torsion tube in, but didn't disconnect the brake lines. It would've been a lot easier if I had.
1987 924S #5 NASA RM
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds