Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

I blew it up, so another motor is in the works
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: I blew it up, so another motor is in the works

I blew it up, so another motor is in the works 12 years, 12 months ago #10673

It gave out in spectacular fashion! KABOOM Luckily I was just in front of pit in, so I swung it over and coaster to my paddock space. Found a few pieces of connecting rod on the trailer floor after I got home too.
Attachments:
NASA Texas Competition Director
Texas 944Spec Director
National CMC Director

Re: I blew it up, so another motor is in the works 12 years, 12 months ago #10674

Sorry to hear that, I toasted one last year in similar fashion and just bought a low mileage spare engine for my spec car - always keep one handy.

85.5 944 Spec #51 - Midwest
86 951
Last Edit: 12 years, 12 months ago by SamGrant951.

Re: I blew it up, so another motor is in the works 12 years, 12 months ago #10675

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
That's a heck of a paperweight you found on the trailer floor. Did you hear any rod knock from the bearings while on track or did it just let go without warning?

Ryan
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.
Last Edit: 12 years, 12 months ago by B1BFlyer.

Re: I blew it up, so another motor is in the works 12 years, 12 months ago #10678

• Big Dog
  • Banned
If you had one of those $10,000 engines, that would not have happened.

Anonymous:laugh:
Jim Foxx

Re: I blew it up, so another motor is in the works 12 years, 12 months ago #10688

No knock, but it did loose power before it let go. Temps and pressures were good.
NASA Texas Competition Director
Texas 944Spec Director
National CMC Director

Re: I blew it up, so another motor is in the works 12 years, 12 months ago #10689

Al Fernandez wrote:
No knock, but it did loose power before it let go. Temps and pressures were good.

Did the motor feel like it was dragging a bit? I had one blow up back in 2002. I came out of a corner and it felt like a had the parking brakes on. Motor was slow to rev. That lasted 2-4 seconds. Then it felt fine. Then 5 seconds later bang....

In my case the dragging was #2 rod bearing grabbing on the crank. It felt better once the bearing start to spin and then once it got to hot it locked up and riped the rod apart. I found the bottom of the connecting rod jambed between the steering rack and cross member. Bottom end was write off, but the head was salvageable.

My root case was a cracked oil pick-up tube that under braked sucked air and dropped my oil pressure to zero. I lasted 2-3 laps like that because the pressure went back up in the straights. I only notice the oil pressure doing this because I could see the gage on my in-car-video. I believe I cracked my oil pick-up tube due to a mis timmed balance shaft belt.

I have also seen 1 possibly 2 motors blow up due to simple rod failure.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds