Autozone rebuild front brake calipers
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Autozone rebuild front brake calipers

Autozone rebuild front brake calipers 12 years, 10 months ago #11001

• mug23
  • Drivers Ed
Hello all:

I'm on a tight budget and looking for a pair of rebuild front brake calipers. I see Autozone has them at a very reasonable priced and they are lifetime warranty too.

So my question is, will the Autozone rebuild caliper will hold up to at least 20 minutes sessions at least or maybe perhaps a full race?

If so, I can replace them easily too.

Re: Autozone rebuild front brake calipers 12 years, 10 months ago #11002

I looked at the pictures on Autozone.com and it looks like they lack the pins, springs, etc. If you want rebuilt, I suggest our sponsor to the left, A Part Above. Their calipers look properly rebuilt for ~ $75.

If you are tight on budget, you can rebuild yourself for ~ $25ea. The rebuild kits are ~ $10 and the sliding pins and springs are ~ $15 total.

Take the caliper apart, use compressed air to force the piston out. Stuff a rag in the bore to protect it and wire brush the exterior. Paint if you want. Use rebuild kits to renew seals and insert pistons bathed in clean brake fluid. Apply hi-temp brake grease to sliding surfaces and pins. Voila, reman brake calipers for $25ea and an hour of work.

Re: Autozone rebuild front brake calipers 12 years, 10 months ago #11005

^^ This.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Autozone rebuild front brake calipers 12 years, 9 months ago #11258

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
The calipers I received from a part above weren't exactly what I had hoped for. The caliper looks like it was rattle canned black and the inside piston looks just as rusted as the caliper on my current car that has been sitting for a VERY long time.

I would maybe try out the calipers from paragon if I had to do it again. ApartAbove does provide new hardware which is nice, just needs to be executed a little better.
-Aaron

Re: Autozone rebuild front brake calipers 12 years, 9 months ago #11261

Aaron,

I notified John at A Part Above. Give him a call on this when you get a chance - he's a good guy, & wants to know about what happened.

I just got some new hood hinges after my hood pin spontaneous fractured on track. I got them in 2 days, at a very reasonable price...
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 12 years, 9 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Autozone rebuild front brake calipers 12 years, 9 months ago #11262

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
Ya, I'll hit him up. It is still a really good deal, just not what I thought it would be is all.

Thanks for the heads up.
-Aaron
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds