Stringing a car
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stringing a car

Stringing a car 12 years, 8 months ago #11280

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Does anyone have a writeup on the art of stringing a car for alignment that we could post in the Technical Articles section? Particularly how to square the setup of the strings to the car when using jack stands for example.
(Haven't yet afforded the SmartStrings setup )

If it 944 Specific it would be even better.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Stringing a car 12 years, 8 months ago #11284

squaring it should be easy if you can get diagonal measurements between opposite corners. As long as the measurements are the same, you have a rectangle (as long as opposite strings are the same length). The problem is that tires generally get in the way. You have to arrange rectangle corners creatively or jack your car up while setting strings.

Got a great old solution for removing the preload from the suspension. Try to find an old office that is getting rid of linoleum type tiles. Grab 8 of them and put wheel grease between each pair. Roll the car onto the tiles and you can move the car with two hands.

We used to have some write-ups at work - I'll see what I can find.
Last Edit: 12 years, 8 months ago by michaelreich. Reason: left something out

Re: Stringing a car 12 years, 8 months ago #11286

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
That would be great

I understand how to make a square box - but trying to get it square to the car is where I was suffering.

I end up doing all my work on my own since my son abandoned us for LA , so things like "have your helper" tend to be a problem
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Stringing a car 12 years, 8 months ago #11291

I will see what I can find. I do remember chalk lines on the ground that was measured with plumb lines dropped from centerline of the axle.

It was a one man operation as we were expected to be able to do this by ourselves.

Re: Stringing a car 12 years, 8 months ago #11292

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
Great - thats also what I have vague memories of. Dropping plumb bobs from suspension points to find the car centerline and and then from there building the box around the car. But i cant remember how to get from the car to the box.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Stringing a car 12 years, 8 months ago #11297

I am having problems putting my hands on the procedure. This may be blasphemy as they are from other car sites, but I found a couple links that are actually pretty good:

www.elantragtclub.com/id554.html

forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1093484

I will see if I can find something a bit more formal.

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: JerryW
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds