My cold air intake mod
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: My cold air intake mod

My cold air intake mod 16 years, 2 months ago #113

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
In keeping with the spirit of 944 spec ill share my latest mod with everyone else.
After every race I've noticed that my stock intake was sucking up a good amount of "tire boogers", dirt, weeds, and other things that im sure weren't helping me make power. It was enough crud to completely cover my filter if i didn't clean it for an entire weekend. I know a lot of the "oldies" on the forum insist that we dont make power outside of the stock intake but I'm pretty sure I was losing a good amount from leaving it there. I wanted to retain an intake that got its source from outside the engine bay. What i did was get some 3 inch piping and a afm adapter to 3". I opted for a cone air filter but had to search extensively for one that would fit where i wanted it. My plan was to put the filter inside of the driver fender where the stock snorkel got air, i searched ebay and online but couldn't find anything that would work but surprisingly PePBoys had the perfect sized filter in the rice isle. Surprisingly this mod was really easy to do and fit much better than I expected. Did I gain any power? probably not, but at least i wont lose from sucking up dirks' tires remnants and small rodents.

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:My cold air intake mod 16 years, 2 months ago #114

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Remember to re-glue, or otherwise secure the center of that filter. I had one try to make a new home inside the engine once... Luckily, it jammed itself in the throttle-body so I didn't have to fish it out of the intake manifold, but it could have also made the engine stick at WOT or something. That was with just a 1.8L motor (before I turbo'ed it)... the 944 is going to have 2.5L worth of CFM sucking on that thing.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
Last Edit: 16 years, 2 months ago by Weston.

Re:My cold air intake mod 16 years, 2 months ago #115

That will be interesting to see in action. I will wait till after Pueblo to pass judgement...

Re:My cold air intake mod 16 years, 2 months ago #116

Chris you are missing the factor plastic deflector that keep crud out of there. It goes between the fender and inside body. That keeps out 95% of rubber and WATER.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:My cold air intake mod 16 years, 2 months ago #120

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
my car didnt come with one

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:My cold air intake mod 16 years, 2 months ago #121

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Throw some aluminum or something in there. Otherwise, your tire is just going to be flinging crap right into that filter.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds