Speed Sensor bracket help
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Speed Sensor bracket help

Speed Sensor bracket help 15 years, 11 months ago #1173

• MadConan
  • Drivers Ed
  • coming soon to a tire wall near you
I noticed yesterday that the upper/right bolt for the speed sensor bracket was broken off. The car is a donor car and had the sensors removed before I bought it.

The biggest problem is I noticed this AFTER we have completely installed the clutch housing, torque tube and tranny. I had all that installed at Brent Knoll's house (can't thank him enough for the help) 2 hours away from me and I now have the car here in my garage. I do not have a lift or the extensive tools that Brent does, so I am looking for a solution that doesn't involve taking everything back off the car.

My first idea is to simply use the broken bolt as a guide pin on that end and just hold the bracket in place with the other bolt. But after looking at the tight tolerance necessary for proper engine timing, I'm thinking that it might not work very well.

Also, does anyone know how the other side actually attaches? There was/is a smooth bore collar there. Is there a specific bolt that goes through that?

HELP!
#53 1986 944

Re:Speed Sensor bracket help 15 years, 11 months ago #1176

can you get a picture of what seems to be broken ?

Re:Speed Sensor bracket help 15 years, 11 months ago #1177

I'm thinking you're talking about #12 in this diagram, right ??

I'm not sure if you'll be able to see the diagram so here's the link dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/203490748
you should be able to reach that without removing much at all, just getting wires and vacuum lines out of the way. It might be easier to reach from underneath. If I recall correctly it's held with two 6mm allen head bolts, that thread into the back of the block, holding the bracket over the holes in the bell housing for the reference sensors. There's a little hollow sleeve for getting it lined up right too. If the bolt is broken off in the block, that could be bad, unless there's enough sticking out to extract it, or use it as a stud to position the bracket and the second one to secure it into place. I would take the time to try to extract it and get the bracket mounted correctly. Sorry that wasn't much help
Last Edit: 15 years, 11 months ago by cullenwinter.

Re:Speed Sensor bracket help 15 years, 11 months ago #1179

• MadConan
  • Drivers Ed
cullenwinter wrote:
I'm thinking you're talking about #12 in this diagram, right ??

I'm not sure if you'll be able to see the diagram so here's the link dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/203490748
you should be able to reach that without removing much at all, just getting wires and vacuum lines out of the way. It might be easier to reach from underneath. If I recall correctly it's held with two 6mm allen head bolts, that thread into the back of the block, holding the bracket over the holes in the bell housing for the reference sensors. There's a little hollow sleeve for getting it lined up right too. If the bolt is broken off in the block, that could be bad, unless there's enough sticking out to extract it, or use it as a stud to position the bracket and the second one to secure it into place. I would take the time to try to extract it and get the bracket mounted correctly. Sorry that wasn't much help
That's a big help! Thanks!

Yes, I the bracket is #12 in the diagram and the bolt (#14 in the diagram) is broken off in the block. I'll try and extract it, but I'm 99% sure it isn't going to come out without drilling it out. I also had some H2O pump bolts broken off, too, that required drilling on Friday.

I'll give the one bolt option a shot and use the broken bolt as a guide pin as planned, assuming I can't get the bolt out. Thanks again!
#53 1986 944
Last Edit: 15 years, 11 months ago by MadConan.

Re:Speed Sensor bracket help 15 years, 11 months ago #1180

• vwmann1
  • Comp School
There are two bolts. The one on the pass side of the block is there for the adjustment of the block. The other on the drivers side is located by a sleeve. If you have the one on the pass side of the car you will be fine. There is no stress on them, the bolts just hold the block in place. Even if you just have the drivers side bolt in place you should still be fine.

Word of caution: if you begin to have starting problems or the car begins to cut out on the track, check the height of the sensor block it may have moved from vibration.

Ultimately, you will want both of them there, but I think you will be fine for at least a weekend or so. I would not panic right now.

Re:Speed Sensor bracket help 15 years, 11 months ago #1182

• MadConan
  • Drivers Ed
MadConan wrote:

That's a big help! Thanks!

Yes, I the bracket is #12 in the diagram and the bolt (#14 in the diagram) is broken off in the block. I'll try and extract it, but I'm 99% sure it isn't going to come out without drilling it out. I also had some H2O pump bolts broken off, too, that required drilling on Friday.

I'll give the one bolt option a shot and use the broken bolt as a guide pin as planned, assuming I can't get the bolt out. Thanks again!
Looking at the diagram again, I see the same thing I saw at arnnworx.com/sensor_tool.htm (see attached photos I stole from him). In the dc diagram, it shows a 3rd sensor (dia #24, reference sender/timing mark sender) going through a 3rd hole in the bracket. However, the bracket I have does NOT have that lower part (circled in attached photo). Is this a model year thing? Or is that probably broken off my bracket?

#53 1986 944
Last Edit: 15 years, 11 months ago by MadConan.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds