Username Password: Remember me

Koni shocks
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Koni shocks

Koni shocks 12 years, 5 months ago #11892

• Big Dog
  • Banned
This past weekend, I discovered both of the bottom attachment bolts for the front Koni's to be missing. I had installed them with lock tight when I put them in. This was the first weekend with them in the car. I attempted to install new bolts but BOTH shocks had stripped out threads so I had to run without them attached to the struts.

I have not removed them yet but am wondering if anyone else has found this problem? I am not sure of the fix yet either. I will contact Koni to get their opinion on a fix and hope that it is not "replace" them.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Koni shocks 12 years, 5 months ago #11895

I'm having trouble picturing what you asking. The struts I'm familiar with have an insert that is capped on top and that is what retains the insert. There are no bolts. I took a quick look on PET and didn't see anything else?

There are the bolts at the bottom of the strut to the knuckle but I'm sure you didn't run without those.

Re: Koni shocks 12 years, 5 months ago #11896

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
944Racer72 wrote:
I'm having trouble picturing what you asking. The struts I'm familiar with have an insert that is capped on top and that is what retains the insert. There are no bolts. I took a quick look on PET and didn't see anything else?

There are the bolts at the bottom of the strut to the knuckle but I'm sure you didn't run without those.

On the sealed struts (non-screw off cap) you have to cut off the top of the strut to install the koni inserts...and the inserts are held captive using a bolt you install through the very bottom of the strut.
KONI-8641-1414S-conversion-2.jpg
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: Koni shocks 12 years, 5 months ago #11897

Helacoil?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Koni shocks 12 years, 5 months ago #11898

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Curt is exactly correct. The top of the original strut is cut off and the Koni is dropped into the strut body and attached by the bolt shown in his picture.

I have had problems for years with those bolts coming loose and falling out. This is the first time I have had the captured nut get stripped. I suppose a helicoil may work but, I guess, my larger question is if my problem is unique or if others have experienced similar issues with my type of strut?

I am also lead to believe that our cars came with Bilstien struts, Koni struts and the Bogy struts that I have on my 88. Is that correct?

Can the early struts be put on my car to eliminate the bolt at the bottom?

Perhaps I should look for the factory Koni struts and have them rebuilt as a solution.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Koni shocks 12 years, 5 months ago #11899

The early struts have a different offset so you can't swap them without doing the knuckle etc as well.

I actually have a late chassis car with early suspension but that was more a matter of circumstance than purposeful. Probably not something you would want to do given all your late spares and wheels.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds