Username Password: Remember me

Track width
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Track width

Track width 12 years, 5 months ago #11900

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I have two 1988 944's. This past weekend, we noticed that the track of one measured 68.0 inches when we checked the front toe while the other one was 67.66 or so when we checked it.

Both cars have the late A-arms and the front crossmember fits without any modification.

Someone suggested that "late" offset wheels may be slightly different because of being produced for a different model that may have used a slightly smaller offset than the 944 but look the same.

I am concerned about the 68.0 measurement. What if it was 68.05"? I assume that if I put more negative camber into the car, the bottom of the wheel could move out making the track width more that 68.0. Has anyone else found any issue here? I am concerned that one of the car's is right on the limit while one is not and I have no idea why that would be.

Anyone out there with information about what to look for to see why one is wider than the other?

What do you all have for front track widths? By the way, there are no spacers on the car.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Track width 12 years, 5 months ago #11917

That seems odd. Turbo S spindles are reportedly 3mm wider, but even that wouldn't seem to be enough explain this. No one we measured was close at Nationals.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Track width 12 years, 5 months ago #11921

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Can anyone give me measurements of various elements that make up the front track width, such as the crossmember, from the outside of the crossmember to something on the brake rotor or brakes, from somewhere to the outside of the hub (with the wheel off).

I would like to try to find where the issue is if other cars are not close. Charlie and Jerry and me looked but could not see what could be the issue unless the wheels had less of an offset. It was suggested that some other model may have used phonies that could be slightly different in the offset.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Track width 12 years, 5 months ago #11933

Jim,

Have you measured by putting tape on the ground to mark the width like they do at Nationals? Maybe the toe plates are throwing you off?

Re: Track width 12 years, 5 months ago #11935

I don't have those measurements Jim, but I can tell you how to get them.

Step 1: Jack up your other 1988 944
Step 2: Get a tape measure

Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds