Username Password: Remember me

Lexan windshield
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lexan windshield

Lexan windshield 12 years, 3 months ago #12537

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I got my used NASCAR windshields in the mail the other day and have a mouning question. When we took out the glass windshield we destroyed the moulding piece that mounts between the frame and the glass that spaces the windshield out about 3/4". The new windshield doesn't fit flush to the frame and looks terrible! I'm thinking about cutting strips of wood to take up the space but was wondering if anybody has a better idea?

It's kinda cool thinking Jeff Gordon looked through the same windshield at Talladega at 220mph! Maybe it will make drive like him now!

Re: Lexan windshield 12 years, 3 months ago #12545

Yeah but you need to turn right too

Re: Lexan windshield 12 years, 3 months ago #12551

I used an aluminum box channel - about 1/2" width, and cut it into a bunch of 1" lengths for spacers. I screwed the windshield in through the spacers. Then I the siliconed in the areas in between. Cheap, and simple. I have not had cracking issues with screwing directly through the windshield, but I did chamfer the holes carefully.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Lexan windshield 12 years, 3 months ago #12567

Dave Hauk and I have done 5-6 of these windshields using 1/2" plastic spacers with threaded bolts that screw into nutzerts set in the channel. The 1/2" spacers fit almost perfectly to bring the windshield flush. For those that don't know what a nutzert is, it is basically and rivet with a threaded tube that the bolt screws into. You drill holes in the channel and set the nutzerts, then drill he windshield and put the the bolt through the windshield and spacer into the zutzert. No matter what method of attachment you use, do not over tighten the bolt or screw. We have had zero problems with cracking by tightening firmly enough to get the bolt/screw snugged down flush but no more. We have had no issues with bolts backing out. We spaced our attachments about 6" apart. Also be careful with your chamfer depth.

We started out thinking we would silicon the channels but ended up either leaving them alone or using 100mph tape (sounds better than duct tape) on the outside seams. By not siliconing the seams we can take a windshield off in literally five or six minutes, and it is really convenient when you are doing work inside the car, particularly things like extensive wiring, dash modifications, etc. Of course, we don't get a whole lot of rain in AZ, so we are less concerned with water integrity, but that's a priority you can decide on for yourself.

Good luck with your project!
Steve Marlow
944 Spec #47x
NASA Certified Instructor
NASA AZ Licensing Director
2012 AZ Region 944 Spec Champion
Last Edit: 12 years, 3 months ago by spec944#74.

Re: Lexan windshield 12 years, 2 months ago #12670

• genikz
  • Junior Racer
Where did you buy the windshields? Mine just cracked, and I'm thinking this may be the way to go.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Lexan windshield 12 years, 2 months ago #12673

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I got mine from a company called Racing Metal. They are NASCAR takeoffs, right off Sprint cup cars. $25 bucks each so I ordered 4 but shipping was more than the windshields cost because of weight. Out of the 4, one is pristine, 2 are ok and one was so sandblasted it's not useable except as a pattern. They also have tearoffs already on them except the bad one.

As for the spacer, I ordered a kit from Chris Alston chassiworks that works perfect. I think I paid $55 bucks though and it isn't exactly featherweight but is very easy to use. Basically it's a thick rubber strip that I just put a few screws in it to hold it down and the windshield bolts through it with supplied countersunk bolts.

Overall, I lost 12lbs just changing windshields and to my untrained eye, it seems safer because Lexan is very tough.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds