944 Rear Suspension Work
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: 944 Rear Suspension Work

944 Rear Suspension Work 12 years, 1 month ago #12916

• bg993
  • Comp School
Hi Folks,

I have been lurking for a while, and I started a SP1 build last year. Motor is out, starting the rebuild, interior is stripped, and I am starting to build the car back up.

This question is related to the rebuild of the rear suspension. I have read Joe's article on re-indexing the rear suspension, and I am curious about setting the height while also upgrading to 30MM torsion bars. In Joe's diagram, does anyone know how I should set the dimension known as "H":

tbar4a_2.jpg

I am trying to figure out where I should start, and "how low I can go".... Especially since I am going from stock to 30MM bars.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Bill
SP1 - Done!
951 - Long Gone
993 - Why did I sell this?
Last Edit: 12 years, 1 month ago by bg993. Reason: add more clarification

Re: 944 Rear Suspension Work 12 years, 1 month ago #12930

You use the spreadsheet that should be with that photo to calcuate the new "H" dimension.

If you take measurements with car on the ground in with stock suspension and ligthened to what you want it is easy. Take the measurement loaded and unloaded. Then plug them into the speadsheet along with how much you want to lower the car and it will tell you what that new dimension should be with 30 mm t-bars.

It is just math to figure it since the relative stiffness of the new 30 mm bars is determimed from the bar diameter. The spreadsheet doe all these calcuations for you. If the speadsheet starts witha 28 mm bar, just change it to 30 mm. Stock bar diameter is 23.5 mm.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: 944 Rear Suspension Work 12 years, 1 month ago #12948

• bg993
  • Comp School
Joe,

Thanks for your post back!

I have the suspension out, so I think I can make it work!

Bill
Bill
SP1 - Done!
951 - Long Gone
993 - Why did I sell this?
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds