Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Welding in rollcage over gas tank
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Welding in rollcage over gas tank

Welding in rollcage over gas tank 15 years, 11 months ago #1313

Cross post from the NASA forums...

Posts: 1 I have a 87 944S that I wanted to have the roll cage welded into . I put the rear cage in place and then I took it in to Kelly Moss Racing , this morning , to have them weld the 4 points for the main rollbar and rear extension to the car . I left the car there and rode my bike home . They called later and informed me that they would have to remove the transaxle and gas tank to weld the back extensions to the trunk floor sides .
But they mostly work on 911's all the time and I thought I would ask the experts who already have welded in the rear extensions above the gas tank if this can be done without removing the gas tank . I have been informed from a member that he welded his rear bars without removing the gas tank and he also told me that I have a plastic tank as well .. Has anyone else welded their cage in with the gas tank in place ? I think Kelly Moss is not used to seeing 944's in the shop as most of the cars are all 911's . Oh well I have to ride my bike 7 miles back to their shop and retrieve the car .
Thanks in advance for your help .
Sam
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 15 years, 11 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Welding in rollcage over gas tank 15 years, 11 months ago #1315

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Our cage builder TCDesigns welds the cage with the gas tank in place.
He has done eight of our cars this way.

--Ken
Last Edit: 15 years, 11 months ago by pixrken.

Re:Welding in rollcage over gas tank 15 years, 11 months ago #1322

I don't think Hank (Hanksville cages, 90% of our RM cages) browses these forums often. Here's a contact to ask him, he's done oodles of 944's This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re:Welding in rollcage over gas tank 15 years, 11 months ago #1345

yea Hank leaves the tank in and welds on the side at the frame right behind the wheel well.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds