Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Are remote oil filter mounts legal?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are remote oil filter mounts legal?

Are remote oil filter mounts legal? 11 years, 9 months ago #13477

• BritRacer
  • Seasoned Racer
I am looking at adding an oil cooler to my '88 and was wondering whether remote oil filter mounts are also allowed? I know you can use sandwich plates but I thought that by using a remote mount would also allow me to get the filter further from the engine making things easier to access (for regular filter changes) and reduce may even reduce heat transfer from the engine block at the same time.

So the question is whether remote oil filter mounts are allowed within the rules, as they provide no performance advantage?

Thanks

Jason
Jason Jane
Norcal

Re: Are remote oil filter mounts legal? 11 years, 9 months ago #13481

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
As I understand the rules, if it's not written, it's not allowed however here in Norcal nobody will have a problem with it. If you race outside of the area somebody might say something but I doubt it because as you said it's not a performance advantage. Having said all that, I don't think you'll need a remote filter. I know it would make things easier but getting to the filter isn't real tough as is. I run a sandwich plate with a Setrab cooler and don't have any issues. The great thing about 944's is that they can take alot of abuse and even though we run at redline a long time in 100 degree temps we don't seem to have many issues. I personally run Redline 50wt race oil and am ashamed to admit this, I don't change it after every race weekend. After Autopoint rebuilt my engine, I changed the oil religiously at first but it was always just as clean as it went in and at $13 a quart it was expensive. Even after a few weekends it's hard to see how much oil is in the motor with the dipstick because it is so clean. Maybe I'm fooling myself but 4 years on the same motor seems proof enough( boy I hope I didn't jinx myself).

Hope to see you at Thunderhill in August!

Re: Are remote oil filter mounts legal? 11 years, 9 months ago #13482

• BritRacer
  • Seasoned Racer
Thanks Ron,

I have to say it is one of the easier filter to get to in all the cars I have own, just thought if I am doing the work for the cooler I may as well make my life even easier.

How big is the cooler you run? I have been looking at either a 10 or 19 Row cooler, is this in the right size range? I know how hot it can get out there after being at Infineon!

I was also thinking about running redlines 50wt oil, I have heard it is worth the extra. Dan use to run Mobil 1 in the car but changed it and the filter every other race.

Jason
Jason Jane
Norcal

Re: Are remote oil filter mounts legal? 11 years, 9 months ago #13483

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I believe it's a 10 pass cooler but I don't really remember and it's hard to see the passes through the fins. It is about 9"x6" and it's bigger than the turbo oil cooler. I got it from BAT enterprises along with the sandwich plate and stainless steel hoses. The hose ends leaked so were replaced with better quality ones from Earls. I just moved it from in front of the radiator to the right side well behind the bumper. My neighbor fabbed up a slick bracket and I ducted it from the turn signal hole in the bumper with two 3" hoses and one 3" hose from the fog light bucket. So far so good. I would highly recommend an oil cooler of some sort before you start racing.

I believe Steve runs Redline as well. It's a little thick and may rob a small bit of power but a spun rod bearing robs a considerable more amount .
By the way if you move your oil filter and beat me, I will have to protest of course, no hard feelings .

Ron
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds