Username Password: Remember me

944 Engine for Endurance racing
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 944 Engine for Endurance racing

944 Engine for Endurance racing 11 years, 9 months ago #13505

• karbuf
  • Comp School
Hi Members,
I'm brand new to road racing (number of years of asphalt roundy-round racing though). I want to run in the Chumpcar series next year and I'm seriously considering the 944 platform.

Endurance is a big deal (up to 24hr races)... What is the best way to prep the 2.5L for this type racing? ie. baffle in oil pan? what can be done within reason and rules to make it bullet proof?

What other challenges with the chassi should I look at? ie. aluminum vs steel control arms? (visa versa).. I've seen some chatter about these but dont have the experience to know the issue..

ANY words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.. I have just started reading the discussions and tech articles on this forum too. Great source of info.

I live in Tampa, FL.

Thanks in advance..

tim......

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 11 years, 8 months ago #13509

I take a shotgun approach to the oil issues with a trap door in the sump, late style oil baffle (Porsche OEM), big oil cooler, and accusump. Other guys don't go quite so far and do well but none of this stuff costs a lot if the engine is apart.

The steel control arms are preferred for durability, price, and replaceable ball joints. They are early offset (cars before 1987). 1985.5 & 86 cars came with Aluminum but can retrofit steel.

Change all the belts and run the balance shafts.

These cars are very durable and would be a good platform. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karbuf

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 11 years, 8 months ago #13510

Depending on how far you go into the motor, using an '83 cross drilled crank, or cross drilling a later crank can be helpful. In any case put new rod bearings in, and check that the clearances meet spec. Steve's got the rest pegged above. Good luck!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
The following user(s) said Thank You: karbuf

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 11 years, 8 months ago #13511

Yep, forgot that one!

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 11 years, 8 months ago #13512

• karbuf
  • Comp School
Very valuable info! The accusump may be going beyond the letter of and the spirit of the rules for the chump series... was that part of the "overkill" or is that a vital need for survival?

I have my eye on a 1988 944 with 130k. She's been rode hard and put away wet too many times, but seems to be a perfect candidate for a new life on the track. Tranny is sitting in back seat... you get the picture..

Any advice or warnings about that model?

Thank you.. i greatly appreciate your insight.

tim......

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 11 years, 8 months ago #13513

The 88 is actually sought after for high compression pistons and a short 5th gear in the trans. The downsides are late offset wheels are a little harder to come by and you are stuck with aluminum control arms (or $1500 aftermarket arms). The aluminum arms are not a game ender. They had a lot of problems in some series where people were running aggressive tires like Hoosiers but with Toyos or street tires, they should be fine if they are in good shape/rebuilt.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds