Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New 944 Spec in the Mid South
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: New 944 Spec in the Mid South

New 944 Spec in the Mid South 11 years, 8 months ago #13542

• Steve_M
  • Drivers Ed
Hi folks, I have been a member here for a little while as I was interested but had no car. There is a TON of incredible information on this site and has been very helpful. So, I wanted to make my first post, introduce myself and say Hi, and offer my many thanks. Lots of things looked familiar once I started in because I had been here first.

My name is Steve Myers and I now have a car. The leaders of NASA Mid South are trying to kick off 944 Spec in the region and I think they have succeed. We had a build party this past Saturday and there were 7 candidates and one parts car sitting there when we arrived. 17 people showed up to help, 4 chose cars, another was waiting to look at a candidate he found on Craig's List, the race director is going to build one and the regional director is thinking about it, as well.

I chose a 1984 that, up until that day, had been the Race Director's auto-x car. I had a chance to drive it during our last auto-x during the fun runs and was very impressed with the handling and the strength of the motor. Even when I saw the pictures posted on the Mid South forum, I had no idea that it was one of the choices.

Doing my homework, I had decided I wanted a running early car to work with, if available and I hit the jackpot.

Saturday I was able to get most of the interior yanked out, then Sunday I went back to start to work on the wiring mess that was exposed when I got the center console out. Well, much to my chagrin, the fuse panels are under the dash, not under the hood like the later models were. So, I yanked the steering wheel and stalks trying to make room to get to the wiring harness, but things were still in the way. Off came the dash and that was a little bit better, but not good. I then pulled out the heater box and air conditioning system and was finally able get to the fuse box and start tracing wiring to it, but I ran out of steam and time.

Next weekend I am going to focus on tackling the wiring and get it down to a point I can rewire the rest. I don't have a fuse/relay layout diagram, so I am going to have to trace things back wire/bundle at a time.

Oh, the pictures I have so far:

Pictures of my build

I will keep the album and this thread updated as I progress.

Again, thanks and hello!
Last Edit: 11 years, 8 months ago by Steve_M.

Re: New 944 Spec in the Mid South 11 years, 8 months ago #13567

• Steve_M
  • Drivers Ed
I added some pictures to the album and made an update post on the NASA Mid South forum. Other Mid South 944 goings on also in that thread.

NASA Mid South 944 Happenings.

Re: New 944 Spec in the Mid South 11 years, 8 months ago #13581

Great stuff, guys - nice to see the region get off to such a nice start. Ken addded a Mid-South regional forum here for you guys as well.

You guys have a lot of fun ahead of you!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: New 944 Spec in the Mid South 11 years, 8 months ago #13584

• Steve_M
  • Drivers Ed
Mike and Shawn really did a lot of work to get this kicked off, they deserve all the thanks.

I've had a ton of fun already, and I haven't even got the car on the track yet. I'm really looking forward to it.

Re: New 944 Spec in the Mid South 11 years, 8 months ago #13595

Sterling Doc wrote:
Great stuff, guys - nice to see the region get off to such a nice start. Ken addded a Mid-South regional forum here for you guys as well.

You guys have a lot of fun ahead of you!

We are definitely excited. We figured if we could get 3 or 4 cars started that we would be doing well. Imagine our surprise that we now have 7 builds in progress and several other candidates interested in starting projects after the beginning of the year.

944s are really neat cars and we have learned a ton just in the deconstruction process. Can't wait for this weekend to see how much progress is made.

By the way, this is a great and extemely helpful site. Lots of good and useful info.

Shawn
Shawn Taylor
Regional Director
NASA Mid South

Re: New 944 Spec in the Mid South 11 years, 8 months ago #13597

Yes, lots of great stuff in the build threads, especially - some really nice work there.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds