Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while..
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while..

New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while.. 11 years, 8 months ago #13605

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I made a deal with Arron aka Bamf3000 who has been trying to sell for a while and am picking the car up this week. It is an 86' and red, of course (I hate red), with all options I dont want! Arron started it down the path but was not able to complete and is now working back East so needed out. Not much to it besides the carpet is out and the axles are off as is the front bumper and radiator. Nothing has been put in yet.

I am planning on a very mild car as I will be using it on the street for a while as well.

I have been racing for 25 years with a few breaks here and there. I have or have held SCCA, PCA, POC, NASA, HSR and FIA licences. I have raced everything from big V8 supercars to 1.5 ltr sedans. I have lots of Porsche time in both 911s and 944s. I have most recently been running BMWs in a PRO FIA Touring Series out of the country until I relocated back to the USA. The cost to run that car in the USA unsponsored was just too great and I got out a few years ago. I have been on bikes most recently but the Wife is not happy with that so I am slowly going back to cars and more specifically 944 SPEC.

I am an Airline Pilot that had to start over with a new airline and as such am on the bottom of the ladder again. So whatever I do will need to get me to/from the airport as well as to/on/back from the track. I plan to 'run what I brung' for a while and slowly move her to a dedicated car.

The plan is the following:

Go manual windows with plain 911 RS style door cards and even leather pull straps to unlock them inside! No power locks either.

Gut the mirrors to manual adjust.

Replace the VERY cracked dash with fiberglass version of stock (I might go with a race dash if I decide to install a MyChron dash that I have).

Retain heat and A/C (Utah is hot and cold!) a lightweight compressor would be nice...

Remove rear PWR trunk lock.

Remove Cruise Control

Remove all carpet and replace with lightweight carpet kit. Use simple cut rubber floor mats. This is again like a 911 RS/RSR.

Remove all interior tar/undercoating.

Replace sunroof with aluminum panel and de-sunroof the roof structure.

Remove all stereo equipment.

Remove all non-essential wiring.

Install lightweight steering wheel

Install spec suspension parts

Fabricate delrin bushings (I have my own lathe)

Install cage (I have my own TIG, bender I will buy or borrow) with simple door bars and with access to the rear seats (in case the kids want to come along).

Remove spare tire well and fabricate cover.

Fabricate brake cooling plates and fiberglass ducts behind the fog light openings.

Install generic aluminum radiator in the stock location.

Replace windshield (lexan in possible, glass if not)

Install a full containment FIA seat and 6-point cam belt (stock seat on right with quick release and possibly a quick removable rear seat as well).

Install Halon system (I have one)

Go with GTR headlights if I can (I think it is OK by the rules)

Install short 5th LSD tranny (I will build the tranny and modify the LSD myself).

I plan on running one small fan on the radiator.

I will strip the exterior paint, do any body work myself then pay for a respray Arctic White (el-cheepo style...read MAACO), I HATE to paint!

I plan on pulling the head, installing turbo springs, shaving, and re-installing.

I plan to pull the pan and baffle it, change out the rod bearings and rod nuts and re-installing.

I plan on installing a 951 oil cooler box and running an aftermarket cooler.

New wheels bearings, brake calipers, a-arms, and other basic maintenance items.

I will install a strait pipe to a lightweight muffler.

I plan on two sets of rims with one set of spec TOYOs and one set of Blizzak snow tires.

Run a lightweight battery.

Battery cut off and other required safety goodies.

Install a frame under the passenger seat for my driver cooling system.

There is more but you get the idea. I suspect I will be very overweight (the driver does not help either at 215#) and nose heavy but that is OK because I get to chase you guys for a while! I plan to run all the Miller events and some of the surrounding events.

I do have a motorhome (she is old but ugly!) which I plan to use to transport to the track once I find a trailer or make one depending on time. I will have her running in a week and slowly get her ready for the track over the winter. I would like to test in the spring or during the winter if I go West.

I would like to talk to a couple of the inspectors or tech guys as I work on the car to make sure I dont go astray. How can I get a few numbers for these guys?
Old Racer!
Last Edit: 11 years, 8 months ago by joeblow.

Re: New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while.. 11 years, 8 months ago #13606

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Welcome to the MADDNESS!

It sounds like you have a great plan thought out and good luck with it. I trust you will be at the Miller Nationals next summer and will see you there.

Big Dog, Lil' Kat and the Piper
Jim Foxx

Re: New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while.. 11 years, 8 months ago #13607

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Yep, that is the plan. I look forward to meeting you and your gang!

Big Dog wrote:
Welcome to the MADDNESS!

It sounds like you have a great plan thought out and good luck with it. I trust you will be at the Miller Nationals next summer and will see you there.

Big Dog, Lil' Kat and the Piper
Old Racer!

Re: New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while.. 11 years, 8 months ago #13609

That is hard core for the street, but I applaud your ambition! Good to see the Utah region grow!

The rules doe require you retain the stock headlight covers, so GT headlight are a no-no. You can save some money, and just leave the stock setup in there.

Welcome!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while.. 11 years, 8 months ago #13610

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I was wondering about that one. Of course the reason to do it was for weight loss of the front of the car. I suppose I could just swap covers back and forth too... Not sure it is all worth it.

Any idea as to the weight of the car based on my proposed build? Will I be able to make spec weight?

Sterling Doc wrote:
That is hard core for the street, but I applaud your ambition! Good to see the Utah region grow!

The rules doe require you retain the stock headlight covers, so GT headlight are a no-no. You can save some money, and just leave the stock setup in there.

Welcome!
Old Racer!

Re: New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while.. 11 years, 8 months ago #13612

I sounds like you want to retain all the seats, headlights, door glass good muffler etc. for street use. With a 211 lb driver, making weight will be tough. If you are really fussy about the details, you might be able to get close, maybe within 50- 75 lbs.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds