Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while..
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while..

Re: New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while.. 11 years, 8 months ago #13614

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I will put a racing shell seat in and all other seats will come out for race days. The dash will be fiberglass and some wiring and such out. I will also have a lexan windshield since the current one is toast.

I know the total weight will be tough as will the F/R balance weight with the headlights, A/C and heat and the other amenities it will be tough!

Sterling Doc wrote:
I sounds like you want to retain all the seats, headlights, door glass good muffler etc. for street use. With a 211 lb driver, making weight will be tough. If you are really fussy about the details, you might be able to get close, maybe within 50- 75 lbs.
Old Racer!

Re: New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while.. 11 years, 7 months ago #13617

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I have a '86 as well and had a very hard time getting the weight off. I was about 60 lbs over even without any interior or door glass. I had cut the dash down a bit and removed all the hvac stuff, as well as windshield wipers, headlights, and anything street related and was still heavy. I weigh 160 race ready so nothing I could lose there. This last winter I got more serious and cut out most anything I didn't need, including gutting the doors down to just shells, minimal dash, lexan windshield, miscellaneous wiring and any bracket not needed. With 6 gallons of gas, a fire extinguisher and fire system, and no coolshirt cooler I am 8 lbs under. Now I can run ballast of steel plates weighing 2lbs each I stack in the passenger footwell.

Having said all that, one of our guys, Sid, drove his full street legal car weighing I think 2900lbs race ready and him and I would have great battles, usually with him beating me.

If you come west and race with us in Nor Cal, and we'd love to have you, I don't think it will make much difference at Thunderhill, and only slightly at Infineon. with it's hills and quick direction changes.

Re: New 944 in Utah - Not a front runner for a while.. 11 years, 7 months ago #13620

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Yep it sounds like the car (and driver will be very overweight.

I am going to start another thread on some ideas I have but need help on. One of my thoughts was how the rules are interpreted when it comes to optional items. For example if you can remove the A/C then I suppose you can change anything in the A/C system if desired? Same with the heat? My thoughts are that I might ditch the stock compressor for a lightweight one, or get rid of a lot of the ducting and just control a much reduced system manually. etc...
Old Racer!
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds