Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Some build ideas to run by the group...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Some build ideas to run by the group...

Re: Some build ideas to run by the group... 11 years, 7 months ago #13668

• seafeye
  • Senior Racer
here is the best picture i could find for the inside of the roof.
The headliner was removed and of course the sunroof. The piece of metal was cut and welded in. No other mod was made to the roof structure.
IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

Re: Some build ideas to run by the group... 11 years, 7 months ago #13669

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Thank for the pics. I like how you had the bevels put into the panel to keep it stiff. Looks very very light. I think that is definitively the way to go!

I just bought a lexan windshield to replace the broken stock one. I will fab up an aluminum or light steel center brace for it and mount it with just silicone and rivets. Overall between the loss of the glass and gasket I suspect I will lose around 10-12# in the process.
Old Racer!

Re: Some build ideas to run by the group... 11 years, 7 months ago #13670

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Nice!

Are you at spec weight?

norman#99 wrote:
normtrailer2.jpg

I have pulled this harbor freight trailer for thousands of miles, this was Miller Motorsport Park in Utah, about 1,300 miles round trip from home.

I bolt on lights as needed, no heater, for that I wear really warm clothes and try to not breathe towards the windshield, no air, for that I wear my cool shirt, no wipers, I use rain x, no signal lights, I use hand signals, the side windows are attached to a strap so I can remove them easily (8 lbs each). I try very hard to not get pulled over, how ever I have been pulled over more than once, just because the officers liked the car and wanted to check it out, fined once at Infineon when I went out to the store for somebodies cigarettes. Pulling the trailer and sometimes going fast, I get 20+ mpg. Suburban gets about half of that at half the speed.

You might have an over heating issue on track with the a/c coil in front of your radiator. This isn't my daily driver, it's how I bought the car, I would probably keep those things in that you are, except the A/C, if you find over heating to be an issue.
Old Racer!

Re: Some build ideas to run by the group... 11 years, 7 months ago #13671

I am at 2600, but I got there by having the least amount of fuel that the car will run on, which is about 2 gallons or it will starve in right hand turns, also with worn out tires, so technically I can not be DQ'd for weight unless the official scales are different than mine, so if you are close to 2600, you should weigh your car with the official scales at each race weekend before qualifying or a race. I usually finish races around 2620 because of tires not being worn and maybe a little extra fuel. I have finished at 2600 even!
Norman #99

Re: Some build ideas to run by the group... 11 years, 7 months ago #13672

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Is the car fully striped inside? I am trying to see if I have any chance of making weight with A/C and Heat and some kind of dash with all the required gauges and controls for hear etc...

norman#99 wrote:
I am at 2600, but I got there by having the least amount of fuel that the car will run on, which is about 2 gallons or it will starve in right hand turns, also with worn out tires, so technically I can not be DQ'd for weight unless the official scales are different than mine, so if you are close to 2600, you should weigh your car with the official scales at each race weekend before qualifying or a race. I usually finish races around 2620 because of tires not being worn and maybe a little extra fuel. I have finished at 2600 even!
Old Racer!

Re: Some build ideas to run by the group... 11 years, 7 months ago #13673

I weigh about 155, when I got the car, it was stripped, I had to add about 50 pounds, so I did it with comfort items, I insulated the fire wall, sun roof, hump in the floor where the torque tube runs, also the floors under the seats, added a full dash, race passenger seat, some carpet, door windows that are attached to straps so I can remove them easily (8 pounds each) I also have a normal street muffler when tested at a local track, was 91db. So the car is nice for driving around town or road trips, I haven't noticed a difference in lap times with the muffler, but I haven't dyno'd it yet for comparison.

When you say, you want to make weight, do you mean that you want to get down to 2600? I am sure you will be a good bit over that number with all that your leaving on the car. You know you can weigh as much as you want, just not under 2600.
Norman #99
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds