Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Stock base weight?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Stock base weight?

Re: Stock base weight? 11 years, 7 months ago #13757

Norm's 944 Spec was (is?) street legal, and is very competitive (this is not the '88 he is referring to).

I've been able to get two '86's to 2300lbs (almost dead even)dry with a cage in, being fussy about weight loss. I weigh 175, and I used to carry 90lbs of ballast in the car to make weight with minimum fuel. I added a few things back in (went from tiny battery to medium sized one, added cold suit cooler, belly pan, went back to heavier stock airbox from cone filter), but even with 30lbs of cool suit equipment, I still need 50lbs bolted into the right floor pan to make weight.

You could get by keeping the lights, and basic ventilation, but much beyond that will be a problem. Windows are another issue. The stock glass, and power windows are quite heavy, and most of us gut the doors to put Nascar bars in, and save some more weight.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Stock base weight? 11 years, 7 months ago #13759

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Thanks for the info.

I am making this barely street legal and with minimal amenities. However A/C is a big one as I plan to drive to and from the airport (Pilot in wool/poly outfit) in Salt Lake City in the Summer! I know this seems silly but I had to make concessions with the boss (read wife) and as such whatever I race must also get me to/from the airport. Heat will be kept for the winter as well.

All pwr accessories are being pulled or are pulled already. The doors are gutted with lexan glass that I am lifting up and down with a leather strap and a stud with holes to locate it (the stock tracks are there but no scissor or motor). The door is unlatched with another leather strap so no handle. The door over stop is also a leather strap. The windshield is lexan, the rear wiper is gone, the rear hatch release is gone, the sunroof is gutted, the sound deadening inside is gone, all the vinyl and carpeting is gone (just removable rubber floor mats). The Dash I am debating on but since I have an AIM EVO3 box and Dash I will likely gut it or replace it with a fiberglass one. Pwr steering gone, cruise gone, all seats gone (when not racing they are in) with Kevlar OMP seat (15lbs) for driver, stereo gone, headlights are there but are manually raised (no motor or crossbar or brackets, all wiring will be trimmed to the fuse box, bumper rubber gone, hood latch is AeroCatch, hatch is rubber hold downs, Side dash vents are gone as is the ducting for them (for the cage), I will be cutting out the spare tire bin as well, cage is basic 6-point with no nascar door bars and if I assume I make weight I will do it in 1.5/.095 wall so should be 100# max added.

Thoughts?

Sterling Doc wrote:
Norm's 944 Spec was (is?) street legal, and is very competitive (this is not the '88 he is referring to).

I've been able to get two '86's to 2300lbs (almost dead even)dry with a cage in, being fussy about weight loss. I weigh 175, and I used to carry 90lbs of ballast in the car to make weight with minimum fuel. I added a few things back in (went from tiny battery to medium sized one, added cold suit cooler, belly pan, went back to heavier stock airbox from cone filter), but even with 30lbs of cool suit equipment, I still need 50lbs bolted into the right floor pan to make weight.

You could get by keeping the lights, and basic ventilation, but much beyond that will be a problem. Windows are another issue. The stock glass, and power windows are quite heavy, and most of us gut the doors to put Nascar bars in, and save some more weight.
Old Racer!
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.07 seconds