Username Password: Remember me

Lightweight battery options
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightweight battery options

Lightweight battery options 11 years, 7 months ago #13801

• RAN
  • Drivers Ed
About 3 years ago a string of comments were written in response to "Advice for battery upgrade" which included recommendation of lawn tractor batteries as a low cost, workable alternative to race batteries. Any long term experience and/or specific recommendations on this now?

Re: Lightweight battery options 11 years, 7 months ago #13806

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
I'd like to know what the minimum cranking amps are to get a stock 944 started. Is 250 amps enough? Will 100 amps get it done?

Re: Lightweight battery options 11 years, 7 months ago #13810

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I am considering a bolt in hi-torque starter but am not sure that meets the stock type replacement requirement. For sure they are a big improvement in starting with a small battery. Despite the claims of lightweight I have not found a real difference when I have used them in the past.
Old Racer!

Re: Lightweight battery options 11 years, 7 months ago #13816

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I just recently bought an X2 Power battery from Batteries Plus. I dont remember the type but it was around 100 bucks and much cheaper then the other "racing" batteries that are out there like braille. Similar weight savings and there are Battery Plus stores everywhere. I can post the model type once I get home if anyone is interested.

www.batteriesplus.com/t-motorcycle-batteries.aspx

PS. I now have to turn off my kill switch anytime the car sits or else there is just enough draw to kill the battery between starts.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
The following user(s) said Thank You: RAN

Re: Lightweight battery options 11 years, 7 months ago #13823

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
joeblow wrote:
I am considering a bolt in hi-torque starter but am not sure that meets the stock type replacement requirement.

2.1 Parts
All parts must be stock from one of the eligible year models, except where otherwise noted. Aftermarket parts designed and sold as direct replacements for stock genuine Porsche original equipment parts with no change in performance or weight may be used and will be considered “stock” for the purposes of these rules.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 11 years, 7 months ago by RacerX.

Re: Lightweight battery options 11 years, 7 months ago #13824

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
I think Autozone carries those now up to the X2-18 battery which is 330 CCA and 18 lbs.

AgRacer wrote:
I just recently bought an X2 Power battery from Batteries Plus. I dont remember the type but it was around 100 bucks and much cheaper then the other "racing" batteries that are out there like braille. Similar weight savings and there are Battery Plus stores everywhere. I can post the model type once I get home if anyone is interested.

www.batteriesplus.com/t-motorcycle-batteries.aspx

PS. I now have to turn off my kill switch anytime the car sits or else there is just enough draw to kill the battery between starts.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds