Koni Dampers - Dyno?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Koni Dampers - Dyno?

Koni Dampers - Dyno? 11 years, 7 months ago #13847

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
OK guys it is time to start buying dampers/springs and with basically three options (really two because Bilstien is not on my personal list), I need some help here.

Reprint from the rules:

1) Koni
Front: 8641-1038 Sport, 8641-1414 Sport
Rear: 26-1209 Sport, 8040-1035 Sport
2) Bilstein
Front P30-0104
Rear: B36-0161, B36-2052

So besides the strut housing they go into is there a damping difference between the -1038 and -1414 dampers?

Normally I would figure out the spring rate to run then get a damper to be able to support that spring rate at the given motion ratio but in this case it would seem we need to go the other way around. So what kind of spring rates can these support? I am not concerned about the rebound because every Koni I have seen had tons of rebound range but with fixed compression you are stuck to a pretty narrow range of springs I would think. Thoughts? What is everybody running and more importantly what are the fast guys running?

I guess if I am overwhelmingly convinced that Bilstien is the way to go then I would consider those too...

Thanks for the help guys!
Old Racer!

Re: Koni Dampers - Dyno? 11 years, 7 months ago #13848

The difference in the Koni is only a different fitment for early and late cars. No change in damping.

The national champion was on Biltsteins, the 2nd, & 3rd guys were on Koni.
The fast guys typically run between 350, and 400lb front springs, and the max rear torsion bars allowed (30mm solid, or 31mm hollow).
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Koni Dampers - Dyno? 11 years, 7 months ago #13849

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Well that makes the Bilstien/Koni question easier... ! Thanks for the info.

Both Koni options are just inserts where the Bilstiens are full struts, correct?

Sterling Doc wrote:
The difference in the Koni is only a different fitment for early and late cars. No change in damping.

The national champion was on Biltsteins, the 2nd, & 3rd guys were on Koni.
The fast guys typically run between 350, and 400lb front springs, and the max rear torsion bars allowed (30mm solid, or 31mm hollow).
Old Racer!

Re: Koni Dampers - Dyno? 11 years, 7 months ago #13850

Koni are inserts; haven't personally seen the Biltsteins
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 7 months ago by Sterling Doc.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds