Misc. ?'s
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Misc. ?'s

Misc. ?'s 11 years, 6 months ago #14038

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I am in the build process as we speak and want to get a few items checked off. Due to the extreem need for weight reduction in my specific case I am going beyond the simple weight reduction techniques. So here are the questions...

Is there a legal 944 alternator that is lighter than one found in an 86' vintage car?

Is it beneficial to run early rubber engine mounts vs. the hydraulic mounts and why?

Are all the A/C compressors the same weight or are there lighter ones that are legal to run?

Thanks!
Old Racer!

Re: Misc. ?'s 11 years, 6 months ago #14039

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
Everything AC related can be removed. You can get a cheap AC delete bracket off e-bay to relocate the alt.
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re: Misc. ?'s 11 years, 6 months ago #14040

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Thanks, but I need to keep my A/C.
Old Racer!

Re: Misc. ?'s 11 years, 6 months ago #14042

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Since AC is not "required", it would seem that any ac compressor should be legal as it is not a "performance" issue. I would view this in the same way I view a cool shirt box or fire system. They are not required so any version of them is legal.

I do not know about the alt. however, I suspect the answer is you must use a stock one so others do not go out and spend money on some ultra light (expensive) version.

There are ways to have removable side windows to lower race weight. This allows the window motors to go away as well. Likewise, the wiper system can be removed without too much effort to get rid of race weight and put back in as necessary. There are certainly ways to remove the dash, and a ton of wiring weight, without spending more than a few hundred dollars. I forgot, have you removed the head light motor system? There are ways to have a manual pin to hold the headlights open when required.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Misc. ?'s 11 years, 6 months ago #14043

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Oh, yes, the late starter motors are lighter than the early version.
Jim Foxx

Re: Misc. ?'s 11 years, 6 months ago #14044

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Big Dog,

I have converted the door windows to 911 R style meaning there is not even a scissor lift mechanism any more. The window is raised with a 2" nylon strap and snaps hold it in various levels up and down. I can slide them out for race day quickly as well. I will try to take a pic at some point. I think this is pretty light though I have not gutted the inner door metal and will likely do that at some point.

The headlights are manual lift with no crossbar and the actual headlights are now lightweight plastic lenses vs the original glass.

Good point on the compressor being a 'free' item since it is not required. I was hoping for a bolt-on from say a 924 or something that would be easy, cheap and still do the job.

Same for the alternator. If an 83' alternator is lighter than my 86' but both are legal I would get the 83'.

I am splitting all the wiring harnesses and removing unneeded wiring as we speak. Amazing how much is in there. I will also be pulling the relays and plugs out of the fuse box that are deactivated as well.
Old Racer!
Last Edit: 11 years, 6 months ago by joeblow.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds