Modify front spoiler?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Modify front spoiler?

Modify front spoiler? 11 years, 6 months ago #14137

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I have read about the center bar removal on the front spoiler but what about the 'false' openings under the fog lights? Can those be opened to help feed air to an oil cooler?

Any limitation on putting a fan on an oil cooler? Seems there are just very few good places to put the cooler where is will get much air.

Thanks
Old Racer!

Re: Modify front spoiler? 11 years, 6 months ago #14138

Joe -

The basic tenant of the rules is "if it doesn't say you can, you can't"

Many mount the oil cooler in front of the radiator, some duct air from the fog, or turn signal openings. I duct air from the right foglight. If you duct it OK, it's all you need. Either of these methods have proven track records of working well on our cars.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Modify front spoiler? 11 years, 6 months ago #14142

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
I run in Southern California with temperatures of 100 and do not need a fan for the oil cooler although a fan for the radiator is useful. I do run spoiler with turn lights gone and good wide air opening in front. The oil cooler is above the radiator and at an angle just under the top of bump area.

Re: Modify front spoiler? 11 years, 6 months ago #14151

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I, on the other hand, have issues with oil temps. I have a large Setrab oil cooler and have fabbed up good ducts to bring air from the turn signal and fog light to it. I still have oil temps of 230 on cooler days and 240 on warm days (not the hot days we can get). I believe that the air is packing up behind the cooler on the inner fender wheel well and creating high pressure. In any event, I don't know how to fix the problem. There is about 3-4 inches of gap there. I have tried a piece of sheet metal with a bend down, below the cooler, to try to help evacuate the air. It did not do much, at all.

Putting the cooler in front of the radiator does not work in California because of the 100+ temps that we race with in the summer. I am still trying to find a solution to get the oil temp down below 230.
Jim Foxx

Re: Modify front spoiler? 11 years, 6 months ago #14154

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Would there be opposition to allowing fans on oil coolers? This would likely fix the bad location and airflow issues with some weight penalty of course but fans are super cheap.

Thoughts?
Old Racer!

Re: Modify front spoiler? 11 years, 6 months ago #14157

Oil coolers are an allowed mod, and not restricted so long as they serve no other function than to cool oil. I've got no issue with fans, but I don't think they are needed.

Big Dog, with good oil, I don't see an issue with your oil temps. My 2012 Durango sees oil temps like that just driving around on hot days, and it specs 5/20 oil (!). I've seen oil temps of 260 in my car, and it has more than 100 hours on it since then.

A few more things can help
- Removing the belly pan on hot days gets more air to fins on the oil pan, which lowers the temps maybe 10 degrees in my experience.
- If you are running fender liners, take them out, or at least ventilate them
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds