Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage

Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1419

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
This morning one of the bolts holding down the front of my seat ripped right through the floorpan. Has this happened to anyone else?
I am hoping that it is repairable with welding another threaded bit on?
I am thinking this would be a good time to install my Kirkey seat. Has anyone welded their brackets directly to the floor?
What are my options here?
Thanks,

Jeremy
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1420

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
You should be using at least fender washers or a piece of 2 x2 steel on the underside of those bolts to hold them in. I wouldn't trust my life to just thin sheet metal.

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1421

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
You mean 2x2 metal and washers on the underside of the car? ALL the way under? Like a plate, sandwiching the floor between the plate and the seat?
I really want to install my Kirkey...but I hear it's bets to get a cage first and weld mounts onto the cage.
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1422

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
You'll need to install your seat before the cage, as the cage builder will need to know the seat placement in order to determine (among other things) where to position the harness bar, and how much clearance is required for the doorbars.

The 2x2 steel can essentially be thought of as a very large, thick washer under the car that the bolt for the seat mount goes through. Like Chris said, it provides a much more solid mounting piece than just bolting through the floor of the car.

Though, if you've ripped through part of your floorpan, you might need to have that part of the floor repaired before you go to mount the seat in, anyway.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1423

there are a few ideas on seat mounting...
1. idea is that the seat belts hold you in place in a crash so the seat mounts are no big deal ie. just use the stock bolts and threaded inserts.

2. FIA mounting with reinforced upper and lower sandwich ...

3. something inbetween that like seat brackets with holes drilled through the floor then large fender washers on the bottom .

what's best ?

Re:Seat installation w/ ripped out bolt damage 15 years, 11 months ago #1426

Jump07 wrote:
You mean 2x2 metal and washers on the underside of the car? ALL the way under? Like a plate, sandwiching the floor between the plate and the seat?

Yep.

As for mouting the seat to cage. Well it not really possible given the cage rules and geometry of the cars. You may however fab up a mount that welds to the sill and tunnel.

In pure forward impact the belts talk nearly all the load. However in a rear impact the rear seat mount will push in to the floor and front will pull up. It is the pulling up that can rip out the bolts from the floor pan. The belts don't do that much at all.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 15 years, 11 months ago by joepaluch.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds