Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Hanksville Y-Pipe
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Hanksville Y-Pipe

Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14373

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
Racers - Here's a product description of the Hanksville Y-Pipe.

"Hi, C.J. Our Y-pipe is designed to bolt to the factory headers/exhaust manifolds on the 944/924s. The flanges are custom waterjet-cut, 3/8” thick. The Y-pipe tubes are made from 2” x .065” aluminized tube, and the Y-pipe exit is made from 2.5” aluminized tube. The Y-pipe is a true merged collector, with both entries mating at the same angle for equal flow. We weld one o2 fitting at the collector end of the Y-pipe, within reach of the factory o2 sensor wiring. We can add a second o2 fitting for an additional cost, for racers who want to log their air/fuel ratios. All of the welds are TIG-welded for high quality and for smooth internal flow.

The Y-pipe has 3 components: two primary tubes, with flanges, that bolt to the headers; and the 2-into-1 merged collector. The primary tubes slip-fit inside the Y-pipe entries, to allow for production variances and the slight amount of adjustment/movement that you get when bolting-up the headers. Once a racer installs the primary tubes into the Y-pipe, they can either clamp them with supplied band clamps, or weld them.

The Y-pipe exit is sized at 2.5” OD, to allow a 2.5” ID exhaust to slip-fit over it. This will allow the racer to have any exhaust shop adapt their exhaust to the Y-pipe, or the racer can purchase our custom-mandrel-bent exhaust that will mate-up to the Y-pipe and exit out the back. I’ll send info on our mandrel-bent exhaust system in a separate email.

The Y-pipe is priced at $325.28 plus shipping.

I have attached some pictures. Thank you; please let me know if you have any questions.

Hank

Hanksville Hot Rods, Inc.
In-house mandrel bending
Custom-fitted exhaust, headers and roll cages
www.hanksvillehotrods.com
Facebook: HANKSVILLE HOT RODS
www.facebook.com/pages/Hanksville-Hot-Rods/132800706742590
303.470.1850 "

I don't think this is a must-have item. But for the Low Compression guys that want a little bump in power, this is an option. There are also some lower cost alternatives, just do some research.
Attachments:
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14374

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I love how people argue for lower cost and parity and then throw out a $325 part that might gain some hp! This part should be outlawed on price alone.

If you took that $325 and used it to hire a driving coach you will gain more time than the exhaust will ever get you and you will be under the hp cap!
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by rd7839.

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14376

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
There are less expensive alternatives. You can DIY for less, or you can not do it at all. It's not a must have item.

So for the guy who is down on power, he can spend $$$ on a Y-pipe, or $$$$ on a built engine.
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by Bottoz.

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14377

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I saw 4 944's in the junkyard yesterday and all had the factory pipe that you could buy for about $10.

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14382

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
The problem with a pipe like this is, even with the dyno cap you could use it to gain a small amount of torque but more importantly where the torque is in the rev band. Spend some dyno time and buy a few slightly different length collectors and plug in your wide band o2 meter and you could make a difference. Tighter track, maybe you want the torque down low or longer track you want it up high. Of course that isn't cheap but for some that's not an issue. These are the parts we should look at capping. Doesn't spec miata have a standard exhaust for this reason?

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14389

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
From what I see of those pics, that system is illegal. Rule #3 and 12.7

The lower flanges look to be cut off and additional pipe welded to the factory header. Am I missing something??
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds