Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Hanksville Y-Pipe
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Hanksville Y-Pipe

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14390

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Never mind, I see it now and it's after the factory header. I just couldn't see it very clearly from thoes pics.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14397

rd7839 wrote:
... Doesn't spec miata have a standard exhaust for this reason?

no, SM has rules so it's not "open after the header", that said most SM cars have the same springfield dyno exhaust.

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14401

This version, which can be done for cheap at any mffler shop, is also shown to be effective:

It has been legal since day 1, but few took advantage of it until recently. Right now, we feel it is good to have some options for the lower HP cars to make up the difference. We even tested a "Spec chip" to see if it was a bolt on solution to keep the lower HP guys from having to rebuild a tired, but solid motor. Turns out it was worthless, so we didn't go there.

RD, if you feel this should be banned, propose a rule change, and we'll get some input on it.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14404

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
No new rules... ever...
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14405

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I think the genie is out of the bottle now but gosh how can you complain about costs on one hand and pay good money for a piece that is still readily available cheap? All the arguments for a hp cap state that it is easy and affordable to get up to power but to use that collector like that to remedy a tired engine seems counter intuitive, not to mention way beyond stock.

I hate to be Debbie downer all the time on here but I just want a close to factory car that is easy to maintain at a fair price. I want to see stability in the rules, and let me be clear, I think we have that but I think vigilance is needed to keep it there. My opinions on dyno testing are clear so no need to rehash that(all my bellyaching and I think it will help me in the end!), but that pipe? If that's not a clear sign of things running away from our original intentions, I don't know what is. No knock against Hanksville, I hear they do EXCELLENT work, and I don't want to hurt their bottom line but to pay for that piece and to say that we need to control costs is nuts. And now, having found out for the first time that that is legal, my perception is I have to have one. If I'm getting beat out of a corner, it's not me it's my old limited slip and my exhaust not getting me enough torque!

Right now my car is in the shop getting a new seat mounted, to the cage this time and foot protection added for the driver. I feel this is something we should be talking about and spending our money on, not $325 Y collectors. Maybe we should be making rules about foot protection, beyond NASA, PCA, or SCCA rules, or mandating a fire system along with a handheld extinguisher. Both of those could easily be done for the price of that pipe. They might not make you faster but for the money it's a better option.

Anyway, i'll try to keep my negative opinions to myself and focus on beating all of you at Nationals next year!

p.s. juat picked up my RR's today and they look promising! I might have to mount them and jump on the backroads when I get my car back.

Ron

Re: Hanksville Y-Pipe 11 years, 5 months ago #14408

my perception is I have to have one.

Can I interest you in a Fabspeed exhaust? It's legal and a bargain at $795

Sure is pretty! All the fast guys have one!

[I kid] I am not unsympathetic to your points. Going to compete at Nationals can be intoxicating when it comes to spending money, I'll admit. It does help my guilt that the cheaper option seems to be effective.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds