Username Password: Remember me

Build ?s from KC Region
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Build ?s from KC Region

Build ?s from KC Region 16 years, 1 month ago #145

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
- With respect to the Dash (early or late). It says the gauge cluster is required but can you remove the dash entirely? The early dash is very light and not really required but the late dash is aluminum and pretty heavy. Also is a fiberglass replacement dash such as those sold by autosport FL on eBay frequently legal.

- Oil cooler location - can you install the oil cooler in front or behind the radiator or does it have to be mounted where the stock oem 951 oil cooler would go?

- Is the WideFire head gasket allowed?

- How much do you have to shave down the head to get the 10.5.1 compression?

- How do most people run a cooling pipe to the driver?

- Can owners install a jack bar underneath the car on the rocker panels for quick jacking purposes (eliminates the need to find the stock jack points)? It says no seam welding or bracing allowed and this may not increase structural rigidity.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Build ?s from KC Region 16 years, 1 month ago #160

I will take a stab at the dash. You must keep the stock gauge cluster . So on the early dash i keep pretty much the whole thing and it looks good. On late cars you can get rid of it all (must keep gauges) . But that does not look too nice... so maybe on the late cars keep the gauges and the top of the dash .

Re:Build ?s from KC Region 16 years, 1 month ago #162

jaje wrote:
With respect to the Dash (early or late). It says the gauge cluster is required but can you remove the dash entirely? The early dash is very light and not really required but the late dash is aluminum and pretty heavy. Also is a fiberglass replacement dash such as those sold by autosport FL on eBay frequently legal.

You can cut out parts of dash or make a gauge encloseure. I recomend keeping as much of it as you can to maintain a clean finished look. The early dashes are pretty light and the late ones are not too bad if you maintain the upper portion. If you remove everything from the flat surface where the clock and climate controls are you save a bunch of weight, but still keep a finished look. 1-2 lbs is not going to make the a difference.

jaje wrote:

- Oil cooler location - can you install the oil cooler in front or behind the radiator or does it have to be mounted where the stock oem 951 oil cooler would go?

Any place is legal, but the best place seems to be in the pass side fog light hole. It is close the 951 location and gets good air flow.

jaje wrote:

- Is the WideFire head gasket allowed?

No... The rules do not allow you replace internal engine parts for improved performance. You may replace stock gaskets/seats etc with standard aftermarket replacements, but the widefire head gasket is intented as performance replacement rather than an OE equivalent. In practice there is no reason to run a wide fire gasket anyway. The headgaskets do not fail unless due to old age or a problem with installation or timing. Also it is better to have a headgasket fail than a ring due to timing problems.

jaje wrote:

- How much do you have to shave down the head to get the 10.5.1 compression?
You are allowed to shave, but the gains are very minimal and in my opinion not worth the risk. Added risk from needing to run high octane fuel. 0.040 is a good number to get you closer to 10.2 without taking off to much material.

jaje wrote:

- How do most people run a cooling pipe to the driver?

Cooling pipe to the driver? What is that?

jaje wrote:

- Can owners install a jack bar underneath the car on the rocker panels for quick jacking purposes (eliminates the need to find the stock jack points)? It says no seam welding or bracing allowed and this may not increase structural rigidity.

There is a stock center jack point on each side of the car. They are pretty easy to find. My advice is to mark that location on the side of the rocker so it is easy to see. If you must I don't care if you put in small plate to help support that area, but it needs to be small (maybe 4" x4", size of the plate on the jack) and not tie into any other part of the car. You may NOT weld a bar the full length of the rocker from wheel well to wheel well. I will consider this a chassis stiffner and deem it illegal.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 16 years, 1 month ago by joepaluch.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.07 seconds