Username Password: Remember me

Cam Tower
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cam Tower

Cam Tower 11 years, 3 months ago #15017

• karbuf
  • Comp School
Found answer to question... need to know how to delete discussion after posting ..
Last Edit: 11 years, 3 months ago by karbuf. Reason: Found answer to question.

Re: Cam Tower 11 years, 3 months ago #15018

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
It would be more helpful to leave questions and answers here so others can benefit from the research. If you had a question I'm sure others in the future will have that same question.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Cam Tower 11 years, 3 months ago #15021

• karbuf
  • Comp School
ok.. The tip of my hex bit broke off in the head of one of the tower bolts inside the housing.. I cannot get it out and have damaged the bolt head further trying to get that tip to come out.. It is probable that I will damage/destroy the cam tower to get that bolt to come out..

so.. my question was about interchangability of cam towers.. what I found was that according to the parts "katalog" for 82-85 and 85-88, the same part number was used for all models of the 2.5 sohc - 944.105.250.07. However, there still seems to remain a little mystery because the casting on my cam tower is 944.105.250.6R.

Re: Cam Tower 11 years, 3 months ago #15027

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Thanks for putting it back up.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Cam Tower 11 years, 3 months ago #15040

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Get a long punch that is very sharp and punch a starter hole in the center of your broken tool. Get the best long drill bits you can buy and start drilling. Once the head pops off the bolt just pull the cam cover and use vice grips, PB Blaster, heat if needed to get the remaining stud out of the head. I have had to do this a few times when previous mechanics used SAE tools on the Metric bolts ;(
Old Racer!

Re: Cam Tower 11 years, 2 months ago #15100

• tcomeau
Those cam housing bolts can be really tight sometimes, which is a crime because they're only supposed to get 15 ft/lbs! Check all 15 wavy washers before you reinstall them.
Cam housings are cheap. I can ship you one. Don't mess up your head.
Don't confuse the casting number and the part number. If you see a 5R or 6R, 9R after the number, it's the casting number. That number is a good, quick way to tell early from late parts, but not good for ordering parts.
Good luck!
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds