Adjustable torsion bars
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adjustable torsion bars

Adjustable torsion bars 11 years, 2 months ago #15150

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Hey guys,

Last season after taking apart the rear suspension to free up the bushings, it settled lower than I like despite all the measurements I took to make sure it went back the same height. It ended up a bit low so now while the trans is out I want to reset it but since I do it all alone I don't want to get it back together and have to redo it because it's not right.

I would like to make the torsion bars adjustable but not sure the exact procedure. Do I have to drop the whole suspension or can it be done in the car? How do I knock out the end caps on the spring plate? Does it just pop out or do I have to cut it out?

Also once it's out what is the best/easiest way to set the ride height/

Thanks guys
Ron

Re: Adjustable torsion bars 11 years, 2 months ago #15152

Do not forget to take the slack out of the bars before you take you measurements. There is play in the system and it will play havoc with your measurements.

Do not know that there is a way to make torsion bars adjustable. Changes can be easier if you drill a hole in the side of your valence and weld a tab to the bar end - makes it possible to pull without taking everything apart.

Re: Adjustable torsion bars 11 years, 2 months ago #15159

I personally think the torsion bar thing is overblown. It isn't that hard to drop the rear suspension out and pull it apart. Not worth trying to do it in the car just to save removing brake lines IMO.

I'm also not a fan of welding or drilling to spring steel. Once you get it right, it won't be necessary to pull it apart again anyway.

You've seen me pull the rear suspension and replace the torsion bars in a few hours at the track

You could bring it down here if you want and we'll do the trans, suspension, and install the trans in a day or so then we can use my scales to do a proper setup.

Re: Adjustable torsion bars 11 years, 2 months ago #15160

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Maybe I'll do that. Did you think my car was too low? I always thought it was even though it handles pretty good. I do seem to oversteer more than you guys and the steering wheel moves a lot over bumps

My diff should be finished this week and sent back from Guard. The wife and i are going away for valentine's day so we can't do it that weekend but maybe the next? Kim says I have to take her away for 3 days of romance or no racing this year! I can't imagine anything more romantic than a night at the race track hanging with the Big Dog, eating his tri tip and drinking his wine.

Re: Adjustable torsion bars 11 years, 2 months ago #15161

What's more romantic than snuggling up in a freezing trailer at the track?

Re: Adjustable torsion bars 11 years, 2 months ago #15164

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Big Dog agrees with you, Ron. The track is very romantic, great sounds of engines, great smells, and cold nights that make cuddling up even better.

If you bring your wife to the track on Friday and stay until Monday morning, that seems like 3 days to me.

We will miss you, for sure.

Big Dog, Lil'Kat, the Piper and the Mothership
Jim Foxx
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds