Username Password: Remember me

Short 5th question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Short 5th question

Short 5th question 11 years, 2 months ago #15230

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Is the 5th gear out of the turbo box the same as the N/A? That might open up some more options to find these.

Thanks
Old Racer!

Re: Short 5th question 11 years, 2 months ago #15234

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Everything I have seen says that they are the same. In fact, I think a common swap for the turbo guys is to put the tall 5th in their box so you may be able to find someone that wants to trade.

www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-04.htm
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Short 5th question 11 years, 2 months ago #15235

I have a Turbo trans that I am swapping the short 5th from the turbo into my 944 spec trans. They are correct ratio. It has the long 5th which I am putting back into the turbo trans. LS1 swaps want the tall 5th.
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports

Re: Short 5th question 11 years, 2 months ago #15236

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
OK guys that is what I thought. I did not want to buy everything and then come to find out I was wrong

Did you have a deal with an LS1 guy in advance of doing your swap?
Old Racer!

Re: Short 5th question 10 years, 8 months ago #16345

• Kurt R
  • Comp School
Has anyone here swapped a turbo 5th into their box? I was looking for a short 5th on Rennlist, and Kevin Gross replied to the thread
You cannot use a 944S/2/Turbo 5th gear in a 944 eight valve, normally aspirated car's transmission without modification (I assume this is what you mean by "spec racer".) The S/2/T gear is lubricated by oil fed into the end of the input shaft. The "normal" is lubricated by oil entering two bores in the 5th gear between the gear teeth and the syncro hub. Without lubrication, bad things happen. I had a client try this, didn't work. You can have a machine shop bore the hole and the groove on the inside.

Or you can just buy the correct short 5th gear set. I have 'em.

Re: Short 5th question 10 years, 8 months ago #16346

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
In all my research about the 5th gear I have never heard of that. I have seen numerous references in both our community and in the turbo community on swapping 5th gears. The turbo guys like our taller 5th and we like their shorter one so I think it happens quite regularly. Others on here can confirm or deny that, but thats my impression.

We also dont use 5th in sustained driving like a street car and only on certain tracks so Im not sure if what he is saying is true would even make a difference in the 10 seconds we spend using the gear.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds