Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Short 5th question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Short 5th question

Re: Short 5th question 10 years, 8 months ago #16347

• Kurt R
  • Comp School
There are plenty of references to putting the long gear in the turbo transmission, but I'd like to hear from someone who put the turbo gear in the NA. FastTater above said he was going to do it - did it work? And the oiling issue Kevin mentioned would occur when 5th is not engaged, not when it is engaged. When it's not engaged the "shifting gear" rotates on the input shaft, and runs on a roller bearing. That bearing needs oil. How does it get it? On the 5th gear swap writeup you can see the groove in the shifting gear, and I would imagine there is a hole or holes feeding oil to that groove, to lubricate that roller bearing. I found an image of a turbo 5th on eBay, and it does not have that groove, so if someone here used a turbo 5th, did it end up welding itself to the input shaft, and how long did that take?

Re: Short 5th question 10 years, 8 months ago #16359

I haven't heard of any failures, and I know it's been done, but I don't know specifics of who, and how long they ran it. This is interesting info, though, and deserves some follow up. Can anyone confirm thye've done the swap, and/or have compared the gears?

The last swap I did was out of a 944S box (my street car at the time). I don't know which setup the S trans runs - it's not a standard N/A box, but also unique from the Turbo. Both the race car, and street car did fine with that swap.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Short 5th question 10 years, 8 months ago #16360

• Kurt R
  • Comp School
Sterling wrote:
The last swap I did was out of a 944S box (my street car at the time). I don't know which setup the S trans runs - it's not a standard N/A box, but also unique from the Turbo. Both the race car, and street car did fine with that swap.

That's interesting. According to the shop manual - insert sheet 30-02a,
With the exception of a few modifications in its design and as regards repair the 083 D transmission is the same as the 016 R Turbo transmission.
So apparently you've been running a 5th without the oiling groove.

Re: Short 5th question 10 years, 8 months ago #16361

It worked for a couple of years without incident. the R&P went out on the trans eventually. My current trans has a short 5th out of an N/A. I think that the S gear is in another car now, being built.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Short 5th question 10 years, 8 months ago #16389

I am interested in the gear set. Can you advise if it changes the ratios in the other gears? Thanks, Tom Joyce

Re: Short 5th question 10 years, 8 months ago #16392

No, it only changes the 5th gear ratio. all of the other gears and the R&P ration stays the same.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds