Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

944 SPEC BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 944 SPEC BUILD

944 SPEC BUILD 11 years, 1 month ago #15296

I have been planing to start to post the build for quite some time. Hopefully I will figure out how to post the photos here. This is the car a few days after I bought it. I paid $1,200 for the car on eBay. I drove it back home but it was a 30 mile adventure. One of the wheels caliper was locked, the tires where bold and leaking air and I fought the suspension all the way back home. The engine was great despite the fact that there was an engine fire recently and some of the wires are melted. I will post more pictures as I progress with the build.
IMG_1555_low.jpg

IMG_1586_low.jpg
Zeca Pires
Miami FL
Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by Nosferatu.

Re: 944 SPEC BUILD 11 years, 1 month ago #15298

A few more pictures from the engine removal process. The car is a 1987 non-sunroof. My plan is to backdate the suspension to have steel A arms in the front and early offset aluminum arms in the rear. When we pulled the engine from the car we found out that it was a 1982 engine. I'm guessing the engine was replaced due to the fire on the engine compartment.

We found to be very easy to remove the engine from under the car. It took us one hour to remove using the hoist and a door matt. I will be doing a complete rebuild of the engine and transmission.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1701_low.jpg
Zeca Pires
Miami FL
Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by Nosferatu.

Re: 944 SPEC BUILD 11 years, 1 month ago #15299

Nice work! An '87 non sunroof car is rare. You will need early offset wheels, and front struts if you go that way. The late offset suspension is fine, BTW. It's the early aluminum arms that are the issue.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 944 SPEC BUILD 11 years, 1 month ago #15318

I have a 1983 NA parts car and a 1986 Turbo parts car. The struts and spindles will come from the 1983 and the 1986 will supply the rear rotors, stubs and CV axles. I don't want to deal with the aluminum arms.

I finished the engine rebuild a while ago and end up having to redo. As you may recall I used ROW pistons

I will post pictures of the engine rebuild this weekend time allowing.
Zeca Pires
Miami FL

Re: 944 SPEC BUILD 11 years, 1 month ago #15323

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Nosferatu wrote:
I finished the engine rebuild a while ago and end up having to redo. As you may recall I used ROW pistons

That's a bummer, man.

Are you building this to run in NASA FL?
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: 944 SPEC BUILD 11 years, 1 month ago #15346

Not the first time I have to redo an engine so not a big deal. On the motorcycles I redo every year. I will be racing mostly in Florida but depending on dates I may race mid-Ohio and Georgia/Alabama. Is there any events in Barber?
Zeca Pires
Miami FL
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds