Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Cage additional mounting points vague?!?!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cage additional mounting points vague?!?!

Cage additional mounting points vague?!?! 11 years, 1 month ago #15310

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
"Cages may be welded to the A and B pillars for safety using no more than four (4) additional mounting points for a total
of twelve points (12)."

The issue I have with this verbiage is that I can fabricate a plate that connects the full length of the 'A' pillar and half the over door to the cage (40" long or so) which is 'one' point. I could then do another for the balance over the door area down the 'B' pillar the full length down to the frame rail. All of that only takes up 2 points per side and would be 100% connection from the bottom front frame all the way around to the bottom rear frame around the doors!

What is the intent of the rule? Is that OK to do?
Old Racer!

Re: Cage additional mounting points vague?!?! 11 years, 1 month ago #15312

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Here is a pic showing what I mean...
Attachments:
Old Racer!

Re: Cage additional mounting points vague?!?! 11 years, 1 month ago #15315

• Big Dog
  • Banned
While I await word from on high, I assumed that the reasonable maximum was 10/12 inches long for each one as one or the other of those is, as I recall, the length of a cage mounting plate for the other cage mounting points.

Of course, this is just what I read into the situation. I, frankly, don't know if it matters all that much.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Cage additional mounting points vague?!?! 11 years, 1 month ago #15316

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I can see this an being one interpretation but of course that is for 'required tube mounting plates' and not specifically A/B pillars.

I can say this: that if it is open I will seam weld plates all up and down and across the A/B pillars because it is little extra weight and significantly stronger and safer to do so.

I just dont want to spend 3 days doing it if I have to cut it all back out
Old Racer!

Re: Cage additional mounting points vague?!? 11 years, 1 month ago #15317

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Understood and agreed.
Jim Foxx

Re: Cage additional mounting points vague?!? 11 years, 1 month ago #15324

I agree this could use better clarification. Defining a "point" is a subjective, but taking that, and stretching it around bends in the cage tubing is beyond the intent of the rule. You can put one plate along a straight section of tubing per attachment "point." Don't take this around a corner.
Hopefully this clarifies the intent of the rule.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds