Hydraulic Brake Lock?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hydraulic Brake Lock?

Hydraulic Brake Lock? 11 years, 1 month ago #15334

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I think I want to remove all the e-brake stuff but being that the car still lives on the street too I was thinking about installing a hydraulic brake lock. Is there any reason this would be a violation? How would I get special approval for one?

For those not familiar it fits inline with the rear brakes and has a button that lets you lock the rear brakes by first pressing the brake pedal to engage the rear brakes then the button locks the pressure even after you let off the pedal. They are common in heavy trucks.

There is no performance gain/loss other than the weight added (loss). It would require the rear brake line to be 'T'ed into and the brake lock installed somewhere along the center tunnel accessible to the driver and a new line installed from it to the rear OEM 'T' in the back.

Thoughts?
Old Racer!

Re: Hydraulic Brake Lock? 11 years, 1 month ago #15341

I don't have a problem with this in general, though it should be something you are not using out on the track. The best way to ensure that is that it is something that you can't reach or manipulate while bucked in. It also needs to have no affect on brake bias, or operation in any other way.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Hydraulic Brake Lock? 11 years, 1 month ago #15344

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
The only thing it would do on the track is let me lock the brakes and walk away from the car after a DNF

When off they do not impede brake fluid flow in any way and when on they block it 100% so I cant see much use for one on the track. It does need to be reachable for street use because in order to work you have to push in the brake pedal, hod it, then push down on the button before you release the brake pedal again. I had one in a 914 a long time ago and it needs to be as reachable as the e-brake because the button is spring loaded and needs some leverage to manipulate.
Old Racer!
Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by joeblow.

Re: Hydraulic Brake Lock? 11 years, 1 month ago #15345

Fair enough. Just be sure it's sized so that it provides no restriction.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Hydraulic Brake Lock? 11 years, 1 month ago #15409

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
I just got it in the mail and it is basically as I remembered, an on off valve that is held closed with brake line pressure. When open there is no restriction. I will need to put on the center tunnel so I can access it to park. This location will also be closest to the rear brake circuit line.

I will let everybody know how it works out when done in case anybody else wants to do it too.
Old Racer!

Re: Hydraulic Brake Lock? 11 years, 1 month ago #15455

Be aware that you wouldn't want to use that after exiting a track run as the hot brake pads can weld to the rotors when everything is super hot. They can at least leave material which will cause vibration. Probably not as big a deal for the rears.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds