Username Password: Remember me

944 Floor Repair
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: 944 Floor Repair

944 Floor Repair 11 years, 1 month ago #15335

• dustinh
  • Drivers Ed
Gents, I'm trying to get my 944 ready for our inaugural season up here in Seattle. The seat mounts on drivers side are basically gone. See photo.
Suggestions on how I should repair this? Some ideas I had
1) take the bolts down through the floor board - not sure if that is safe
2) cut out the same piece from a donor vehicle and weld in - seems possible
3) mount seat directly to cage - have no idea if that is a practical solution or if the floor would still need to be repaired
4) fabricate some new solution from scratch - seems costly since I can't do the work myself.
5) ideas I'm not even thinking of?

944floor1.jpg

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Dustin
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByqJy2ZYTFNBV1dqc3BjVmZuVXc/edit?usp=sharing
Last Edit: 11 years, 1 month ago by dustinh.

Re: 944 Floor Repair 11 years, 1 month ago #15336

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
A lot depends on what seat mount you are planning to use.

If you are mounting recaro sliders then they need what was originally there. To get that back I would fabricate nut plates and weld them to the existing channel. I have never seen those channels break even in big crashes. For extra security your new nut plate can be made from angle iron and span the full length across for added strength.

If you are planning to use fixed seat brackets (side mount) for race shells then I would buy 1/2" by 3" rectangle stock and run two of them from the front support to the back support (there will be some angle). They will need to be welded and then you can drill and bolt through those for the seat brackets. You can also gusset the gap between the rectangle stock and the floor between the front and rear supports for added security.

Lastly with the new rule about attaching the seat mounts to the cage, you could run pipes or bent rectangle stock from the door brace down and across to the shift tunnel, but in my humble opinion, that would be overkill in a late car like yours that has a strong floor.
Old Racer!

Re: 944 Floor Repair 11 years, 1 month ago #15337

• dustinh
  • Drivers Ed
Thanks for the advice. I haven't purchased the seat yet so I can go either way. Being my first race prepped car what is more common for guys in the 944 Spec class (sliders or fixed)?
I'd like to let my Nephew driver it sometimes on the track so that makes me think sliders are better (assuming they are allowed). Are the seats themselves interchangeable with either seat setup?

Thanks

Re: 944 Floor Repair 11 years, 1 month ago #15338

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
If you will have more than one driver and they are much different sizes then sliders are the way to go. Also if you use a Halo or containment type seat sliders are pretty much a must so you can get in and out.

I have always had sliders in sedans, the only cars that I did not were prototypes where every driver had his/her own molded seat pad.
Old Racer!

Re: 944 Floor Repair 11 years, 1 month ago #15339

• dustinh
  • Drivers Ed
That is super helpful, thanks!

Re: 944 Floor Repair 11 years, 1 month ago #15342

Sliders are legal, though they are not the strongest way to go.

The strongest/best route is to have a well designed mount that integrates into the cage.

After that mounts that are solid to the floor (and/or through, with backing plates).

With careful positioning a halo seat can be solidly mounted. I have mine a bit reclined, and have small pedal covers and a steering wheel spacer to help the reach. With practice, I can bail out of the window with helmet, and HANS in place in under 8 seconds.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds