Tie rod end won't let go!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tie rod end won't let go!

Tie rod end won't let go! 10 years, 10 months ago #15936

• BritRacer
  • Seasoned Racer
Hi all,

I am a future 944 racer in the NorCal region, who has been sitting on the forum for a while but finally thought i would speak outside of the norcal group. I have been working through HPDE and spending time with the rest of the guys at the track when I can. Hopefully I can join them before the year is out!

I have spent the last few weeks getting the car in better shape and have rebuilt the ball joints with little drama (1 small issue with a sheared off caster bolt). However, I am now trying to replace the tie rod ends and they refuse to let go of the spindle! I have tried shocking the joint and hitting them with a mallet without any luck. So I am looking for some advice, I have read about options of using a pickle fork and/or a gear remover. Which of these is the best option I don't want to waste time and money on trying wrong option?

I don't think it changes too much but this is an '88 and hence has the late offset aluminum control arms.

Thanks

Jason
Jason Jane
Norcal

Re: Tie rod end won't let go! 10 years, 10 months ago #15937

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Place a jack stand under the steering knuckle supporting all the weight as close to the ball joint as possible. Thread the nut back onto the ball joint bet leave a few millimeters of gap before tight. Heat the steering knuckle with a torch and place an ice cube on top of the ball joint. Give it a few seconds of hot and cold treatment then a good solid whack on top of the nut with a dead blow hammer and she will come off.
Old Racer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BritRacer

Re: Tie rod end won't let go! 10 years, 10 months ago #15963

I've always been able to pop them on these cars just by hitting the outside of the knuckle right by the tie rod end bolt. Usually takes 2 or three shots and don't be gentle.

Careful hitting the nut as you will probably ruin the tie rod ends. A pickle fork might work or maybe a puller from the top. Autozone or similar usually has free loaners of that sort of thing or I've got them too if you want to come by. I've worked on LOTS of 944s though and with all different degrees of rust, neglect, etc and the hammer blow has always worked.

Re: Tie rod end won't let go! 10 years, 10 months ago #15965

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
944Racer72 wrote:
I've always been able to pop them on these cars just by hitting the outside of the knuckle right by the tie rod end bolt. Usually takes 2 or three shots and don't be gentle.

Careful hitting the nut as you will probably ruin the tie rod ends. A pickle fork might work or maybe a puller from the top. Autozone or similar usually has free loaners of that sort of thing or I've got them too if you want to come by. I've worked on LOTS of 944s though and with all different degrees of rust, neglect, etc and the hammer blow has always worked.

Hitting the knuckle is also what I do. I try to have another (large) hammer on the opposite side so as to sandwich the knuckle when the blow lands. (not always easy depending on the vehicle being molested).
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Tie rod end won't let go! 10 years, 10 months ago #15968

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Go spend a few bucks on a pickle fork, it will come right off. All the other methods work as well but a pickle fork works every time without fail.

By the way, I will be parking up the hill at Sears Point next weekend, do you need me t save a camping spot for your trailer?

Re: Tie rod end won't let go! 10 years, 10 months ago #15972

• BritRacer
  • Seasoned Racer
I ended up buying a tie-rod - ball-joint separator. It worked like a treat and is less likely to damage anything (no hammers) just a socket required and it uses pressure to push it out.

I will be the next weekend and plan on being up the hill, with the 2 trailers (car and travel trailer). Hoping to leave the south bay between 12 and 1. What time you planning on being there?
Jason Jane
Norcal
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds