Username Password: Remember me

Accusump on '88 944
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Accusump on '88 944

Accusump on '88 944 10 years, 5 months ago #16801

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
I was reading the rules and came across 12.8 Oil Cooling where it mentions the Accusump type oil pressure reservoirs are allowed. I'm building a 1988 944 and wanted to get some feedback from the group on the benefits on engine longevity. How many of your are running an Accusump on a late model engine? Have you found the investment worth it? Those not running one, wish you had or planning to add one in the future? Any advice welcome, particularly from those that included one in their build.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region

Re: Accusump on '88 944 10 years, 5 months ago #16802

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I have owned 3 different 944Spec cars, 2 of which were late engines. None of them had an accusump.
I dont think the are needed but it does add to the security of the oiling system.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Accusump on '88 944 10 years, 5 months ago #16805

I agree with Charlie. I haven't seen any benefit in the cars the few cars that had them on extending rebuild intervals, but my sample size is pretty small. The extra oil pressure protection seems to be about offset by the increased risk for leaks by the added plumbing. I have seen one develop a high pressure leak where it was mounted in the cockpit. Not good.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Accusump on '88 944 10 years, 5 months ago #16809

I do run one (mounted under the nose panel above the radiator). I think if all the proper precautions are taken (trap door in sump, late style oil baffle, oil cooling) then the accusump probably isn't necessary for high g-loads.

However, I still think it is good insurance. I had an oil cooler fitting come loose at Miller and dump about 5 Qts of my oil but I never lost pressure because the Accusump had 3 extra qts. More recently, due to a broken motor mount, one of my oil lines pulled completely off the oil cooler and dumped my entire system as fast as the pump could pump it. Again, the accusump fired off and the engine was fine. Did the Accusump save the engine in either scenario? I don't know but it sure didn't hurt.

Two items for thought:

I have a manual, cable actuated valve on mine for remote operation from the cockpit. I fire the accusump prior to start up EVERY time I start the car and I have 20 LBS oil pressure before the engine starts. That has to add to bearing longevity.

With the new RR tire and higher G loads, will we see more rod bearing failure from uncovering the oil pickup? Who knows?

As far as leaks, I run mine Tee'd off the oil cooler lines so it is one extra line about 3' long and 2 fittings. I don't see that as any substantial risk. It has been in the car over 5 years with no issues. I would NEVER mount an oil line that size in the interior.

Re: Accusump on '88 944 10 years, 5 months ago #16816

Good points, and sounds like a much better Accusump install than most I've seen. The last one I saw could have been used for a driver's armrest (though uncomfortably).
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Accusump on '88 944 10 years, 5 months ago #16819

I've seen them mounted inside race cars for weight distribution but I think it is a very bad idea. If something goes wrong, that is a lot of hot oil very quickly filling up the car.

The late cars with removable nose pieces have plenty of room in that void for the accusump to sit. Mine is the 3 QT with a gauge on one side and it fits fine. The 90 out of the accusump is a bit tight and requires a special fitting in my case (1/2 NPT to 10AN 90 in my case).
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds