Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule Clarification: LCAs, Engine Mounts & Bushings
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rule Clarification: LCAs, Engine Mounts & Bushings

Rule Clarification: LCAs, Engine Mounts & Bushings 10 years, 3 months ago #17167

• jdeane7
  • Drivers Ed
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums, so a quick introduction: Just recently picked up an 87 944 NA with LSD from my uncle, the original owner. It's got 110k original miles and he gave me all the maintenance records. I've been a car tinkerer for a while, so I'm excited to get my hands dirty on this one.

I'm not ready to go full-on 944 Spec build, but I want to ensure that as I embark on small projects, I'm using parts and making repairs that will be in line with the 944 Spec rules.

My first project will be to repair/upgrade the suspension, and I have a few questions:

1. Lower Control Arms: Sections 15.11 and 15.12 discuss steel and aluminum A-Arms and the modifications that can be done to each. I've seen some aftermarket companies that manufacture dimensionally identical A-Arms, but which have more easily replaceable ball joints. It seems this would be a worthwhile thing to do if it were allowed, since I know these parts have a habit of wearing out on these cars. are the only allowable LCAs the oem variety?
  2. Engine Mounts: I could not find any reference to this part in the rules. I have seen the stock hydraulic mounts for the car, as well as some other options from aftermarket companies. I realize that section 2.1 makes the blanket statement that all parts must be stock, but I was just wondering if this falls under that category. If other mounts can be used recommendations would be welcomed.
  3. Bushings: I feel pretty clear on what's allowed for this section. I'd like to go through and replace all of them when I do the rest of the suspension work, so I'd also take recommendations on brand for these too.

Many thanks to everyone for your input!

Re: Rule Clarification: LCAs, Engine Mounts & Bushings 10 years, 3 months ago #17168

For Bushings:

We are allowed to run Delrin in the front and rear.

Rear - Paragon sells a kit for the rear.

Front - Lella Sports sells the front the only all delrin kit for the front. It sells for $100 which is the best price I have found for a Delrin set.
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports

Re: Rule Clarification: LCAs, Engine Mounts & Bushings 10 years, 3 months ago #17169

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Yes you must run the factory contol arm. If your is an 87 you will have to use The alu one. 87 and on had a longer control arm. You may be able to retrofit to the steel one but you will have to change wheels.
As far as bushing material goes, my personal experience has been that Delrin is not the right material. The front control arm needs a material that will give a little since it has to twist a little when going up and down.
I installed all delrin bushings in the 86 944Spec car after I had driven it a few times and went slower with all delrin. If you use delrin be sure to keep your front mount bolt very tight. It will wallow out the front subframe holes. Eurothane works best for this.
The bushing material for the torsion tube can be Delrin since it only rotates and does not move any other direction.
The fastest car I have owned in 944Spec had stock rear lower control arm bushings and eurothane in the front.
That car reset all the track records in So-Cal on the RA1.
My new car has all eurothane bushings and has reset all the records again on the new RR tire.

Aa far as I know the motor mount has to be stock replacement or OEM. At least that is all I have ever used.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Rule Clarification: LCAs, Engine Mounts & Bushings 10 years, 3 months ago #17170

Delrins slow?

Chuck, help me understand. I would think that on a bumpy track that might be true, but a smooth surface the delrin so should be faster.
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports

Re: Rule Clarification: LCAs, Engine Mounts & Bushings 10 years, 3 months ago #17171

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I cant tell you the math behind it but I can tell you from 1st hand experience that the car went slower when I went to all Delrin.

I know know that the front control arm does not go up and down with out creating a bind at the forward mount. Try to move the control arm without the spring, sway bar and shock attached.

Now disconnect the rear mount and watch it move all over the place when you move the control arm up and down.

Since the mounts are in a fixed position the movement causes bind. The control arm cannot move in its designed motion.

Porsche does not do things on accident.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion