Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Lessons learned from the Infineon crash
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Lessons learned from the Infineon crash

Lessons learned from the Infineon crash 15 years, 9 months ago #1744

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
This is a continuation of my race report from our Infineon race.
http://944spec.org/944SPEC/content/view/125/9/

As with any track incident it's what we can learn from it to make us safer and to talk about it.

Here are some emails between us after the incident.

Hi Team,

I have to tell you this was the scariest event I ever attended since this was the first time a ambulance had to be dispatched. My hit with tire wall last year I wasn't even fazed and just race the next day.
I'm sure all of us are real thankful Greg is O.K. Murphy's law says you will always find a section of wall where it's concrete and not covered by tires.
Greg's injuries were relatively minor considering he hit a concrete wall at what the corner workers were estimating at 90 MPH, the secondary hit at the rear where it pop open the hatch was a tire wall.

Greg suffered a fracture on the 7th rib of his left side and a bruise on his left leg by the shin area.

My observations:
1. I believe the head/neck restraint system really prevented serious injury.
2. I'm guessing the bruise on the left leg was caused by coming into contact to the bolt-in cage. Even though it was padded it's still in relatively close proximity to the leg. That's why I like and use a custom cage where the A-pillar bar is welded to the door sill and further away from the body.
3. The injury to the rib can be minimized with a seat with shoulder containment where the shoulders take the load instead of the side of the body. Like Jim Foxx's seat.
4. Our race cars with the safety systems are real strong. I don't take this as a mindset of invincibility but a street car would have been disasterous.

Jim Foxx whose was also at the event

I will add to this. Thank God Greg was back at the track in the afternoon. A testament to the level of safety gear we are required to have and to the level of gear we choose to have.

Several comments:

Halo seats to contain side to side head movement. The nets allow MUCH more movement (and stress on the neck) than a halo seat.

Leg whip - This can be a serious problem leading to bruises and injury to the legs from banging into cages, tunnels and each other. My seat has optional extensions that extend down to help minimize leg whip. Some pro teams have even developed a center divider to help prevent banging of knees and ankles together. I have looked at that but did not incorporate it YET. I will be now.

Harnesses - having the best harness possible. The Team Tech harness that I use incorporates two leg straps that work like a climbing harness to provide anti-sub protection. I believe this provides better protection for men's vital parts in a frontal crash as the stress is on the thighs and not centered on (you know what) that a conventional sub strap does. It also provides pads on the sternum and groin to dissipate force for less bruising.

Cage - having the drivers side bars bend out into the gutted door will add 4 or 5 inches of crush room for the driver. This is a simple change allowed by rule.

Seat mounting - mount the seat on supports that are attached to the tunnel and the side frame rails. The floor pan can deform in a crash and allow the seat to move. This happened to an Az racer and let his helmet hit the outside bar on his roll cage. Of course, the seat won't be adjustable but having an adjustable seat means there is no seat back support anyway and that is a concern especially in a rear end collision.

Sorry to rant about safety issues but you guys are great to race with and to hang with. We all need to keep on each other about safety and Greg can attest to it being effective. Being back at the track Sunday afternoon! Wow!

Jim "Big Dog" Foxx
--Ken
Last Edit: 15 years, 9 months ago by pixrken.

Re:Lessons learned from the Infineon crash 15 years, 9 months ago #1745

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
There is a good discussion (with pictures) on leg protection in this Rennlist thread

forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=439858

. I'm going to be looking into doing what KurtR pictures with his 3R SRT4 and I'm also looking into the Kirkey Head restraints thet fit to the existing seats.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
Last Edit: 15 years, 9 months ago by JerryW. Reason: add link

Re:Lessons learned from the Infineon crash 15 years, 9 months ago #1746

Wow,
Greg glad to hear that you made it out in decient shape.

We must always remember that while we do this for fun safety gear cannot be overlooked.

You may remember your Mom saying to you as a kid "It all fun and games until some pokes an eye out!" Well same with racing.

Good sense, good maintinance and good safety equipment are critcal elements when racing. Lets never forget that.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 15 years, 9 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:Lessons learned from the Infineon crash 15 years, 9 months ago #1747

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
scary stuff
glad things turned out mostly ok.
What type of bolt in cage was he using and how well did it hold up in the crash? id assume it did pretty well considering he got away with only a fractured rib but im asking because i have an autopower bolt in.
thanks

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:Lessons learned from the Infineon crash 15 years, 9 months ago #1748

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
I'm not sure which cage Greg has but the cage held up fine. There was no penetration into the occupant area. The rib was cause by movement of the body pushing against the seat in a impact even though he was strapped in tight. His Kirkey seat was not oversized and fit him pretty snug.

Greg has no memory of the incident but he feels the shin bruise was not cause by leg whip but by pushing in the clutch and the impact traveled from the clutch pedal up to his leg.
--Ken

Re:Lessons learned from the Infineon crash 15 years, 9 months ago #1751

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
pixrken wrote:
I'm not sure which cage Greg has but the cage held up fine. There was no penetration into the occupant area. The rib was cause by movement of the body pushing against the seat in a impact even though he was strapped in tight. His Kirkey seat was not oversized and fit him pretty snug.

Greg has no memory of the incident but he feels the shin bruise was not cause by leg whip but by pushing in the clutch and the impact traveled from the clutch pedal up to his leg.

If this was Bill Pennok's old car I'm pretty sure the bolt in cage was an old Autopower (Probably ERW instead of DOM) and grandfathered in.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds