Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rear Hatch Tie Down Suggestions?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rear Hatch Tie Down Suggestions?

Rear Hatch Tie Down Suggestions? 9 years, 11 months ago #17714

So I was running at MIR two weeks ago and decided to take a trip into the grass backwards at 110 mph. Everything seemed ok until the car turned oposite the direction of travel. As soon as the air got under my "wing" on the hatch, the whole thing took off like an ejector seat. Video here (Fast forward to 6:30 for hatch separation):

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT9tkC3bX-Y[/video]

I currently use the rubber jeep tie downs that everyone in this region has been using since I got into 944 Spec. Once the air got underneath the hatch, the tabs that hold the rubber stoppers down bent skyward and released the hatch into the great blue yonder. Because of this, I have decided it's time to find a better solution to securing the back glass.

My question: Has anybody found a latch or some kind of hood pin configuration that is more robust than the rubber jeep tie down option many of the guys are using? I'm looking for something that would hold even at 100 mph backwards.

Thanks in Advance,
Jeremy

PS. The rear hatch weighs ~56 lbs, ask me how I know.
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion
Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by FDJeremy.

Re: Rear Hatch Tie Down Suggestions? 9 years, 11 months ago #17715

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Sounds dangerous, too.
Jim Foxx

Re: Rear Hatch Tie Down Suggestions? 9 years, 11 months ago #17717

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
the stock latching mechanism?

I leave the key in the lock attached to the car with a wire so even if it falls out, it wont get lost. In the 2+ years I've raced the car, I've never had an issue with the key falling out.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Rear Hatch Tie Down Suggestions? 9 years, 11 months ago #17718

AgRacer wrote:
the stock latching mechanism?

I leave the key in the lock attached to the car with a wire so even if it falls out, it wont get lost. In the 2+ years I've raced the car, I've never had an issue with the key falling out.

Unfortunately by the time I got my hands on the car, all of that stuff had already been removed and was long gone.

I was thinking about something with a locking latch on it but haven't been able to find anything yet.
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds