Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

guys what is this?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: guys what is this?

guys what is this? 9 years, 11 months ago #17751

it sits right next to the battery, tees off at one point to a melted wire, and ends up at whatever that is. Do ineed it and what does it do? Thanks in advance.
Attachments:

Re: guys what is this? 9 years, 11 months ago #17753

I think it a vacuum reservoir/accumulator. I'd keep it.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: guys what is this? 9 years, 11 months ago #17754

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I removed it on my cars and sealed the small hose.
Jim Foxx

Re: guys what is this? 9 years, 11 months ago #17755

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Its number 5 in the first picture in the link below. That's part of the vacuum operated heat and ac control system. If you are keeping the stock dash and heater core, I wouldn't worry about keeping the control system and just manually adjust the valve inside the engine bay before sessions if you want the heat to circulate through the core. There's enough air movement when you're at speed on track to circulate through the system and keep the windshield from fogging as well as keep the driver nice and toasty in cold conditions.

www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-01.htm

The heater control valve is vacuum operated and located at the back of engine near the firewall. There is a vacuum line which goes from the valve to a vacuum connection at the firewall where the heater hose connections penetrate the firewall. Check this vacuum line to make sure it is connected and doesn't show any signs of cracking. There is another vacuum line fitting near the heater hose connections which goes to a rubber "Y" connector. One side of the "Y" goes to a small check valve attached to the large brake booster vacuum line at the back of the firewall. The other side of the "Y" goes through the firewall to a plastic vacuum retention canister next to the battery.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
The following user(s) said Thank You: matthewc313

Re: guys what is this? 9 years, 11 months ago #17756

it is an early vacuum reservoir for the A/C system. If you are keeping the A/C, you will need it. Otherwise, it can be disposed of.

It's basically "holding vacuum" so that the flaps in the heater box in the passenger compartment remain open (they are held by vacuum) in all throttle conditions.
Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by michaelreich. Reason: spelling

Re: guys what is this? 9 years, 11 months ago #17761

Thanks for the help guyd. I'm removing all the a/c stuff so its going to go. I do like that idea about manually adjusting it before a race, what parts would I need to keep to keep that option?
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds