Username Password: Remember me

Loose Stering Rod
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Loose Stering Rod

Loose Stering Rod 15 years, 9 months ago #1869

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
I just noticed some slopiness in one of the stering rods. Is there a way to tighten this rod in the stering unit? I have a power stering rack that has been converted to manual (pump, resevoir removed and hose looped back to rack). The play appears to be at the rack and not the end links.
Thanks,
Lee

Re:Loose Stering Rod 15 years, 9 months ago #1870

Replace the entire tie rod.

There is ball joint under the boot attached to the rack. These can weardown and cause slop. At PIR there is a corner where if you are not carefull you can hook the inside front wheel behind the crub. All it takes is once like that and you can damage the inner ball joint resulting in slop and need a replacement tie rod. Simple enough to change, but you probably will need to pull the rack and do it on a bench. The tie rod threads on, but there may be some tabs you need bend out of the way to turn it.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Loose Stering Rod 15 years, 9 months ago #1876

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
Thanks Joe. Hmmm turn 9 at PMI?

Re:Loose Stering Rod 15 years, 9 months ago #1880

944cer wrote:
Thanks Joe. Hmmm turn 9 at PMI?

PMI? Not familier with that. Phoenix international Turn 2 apex is what gets me. Most of the time you have to fight the understeer there, but sometimes you pitch the car alot and can over roate and then fine the inside front wheel on the otherside of curb as the car drifts out. The tie rod ball joint does not like this too much.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Loose Stering Rod 15 years, 9 months ago #1884

Hey Lee, I've got a pair of extra inner tie rods if you need, or check rockauto.com, I think they have a great price on them and the rack boots

Re:Loose Stering Rod 15 years, 9 months ago #1892

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
PMI is our Pueblo track. Thanks Cullen. I checked the ball joint and that is where the slop is. At this point I only need one. I'll buy yours if you want or contact rock auto.
Just let me know.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds