Username Password: Remember me

crankcase pressure
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: crankcase pressure

crankcase pressure 15 years, 9 months ago #1937

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
I recently helped a buddy replace the head gasket in his '86 with a '84 engine. It runs like a champ...except oil starts spitting out of the oil separator(?) when we remove the oil filler cap the pressure goes away. Is the this a vacuum problem? how can we get the pressure to regulate?
We want to get this car to Thunderhill in a month for the NASA event. Any advice/ideas are appreciated.
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71

Re:crankcase pressure 15 years, 9 months ago #1944

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
Is there a vacuum line diagram online? I looked at Bills 944 world...but nothing. They have them for turbos, but not N/A.
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71

Re:crankcase pressure 15 years, 9 months ago #1945

I have never seen one spit oil up from the separator . could that be an issue with blow by (ie rings are bad) ?

Re:crankcase pressure 15 years, 9 months ago #1946

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
I hate to think negative, but I assume you did a leakdown compression test after the hg install?
it could be a bad piston or ring, warped head or faulty head gasket causing blow-by in the crankcase.
You could test the PCV and such, but since you already had headgasket problems I'd eliminate the obvious first.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:crankcase pressure 15 years, 9 months ago #1947

It could be bad rings pressurizing the crank case. It could also be a problem in vacuum lines.

There is a silver sticker on the pass side inner fender that show the the vacuum routing.

If it is not there you will need to look it up. I don't have a copy handy.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:crankcase pressure 15 years, 9 months ago #1949

• rlofgren
  • Seasoned Racer
is that the same diagnosis when the dipstick pops out due to crankcase pressure? and shouldn't the excess pressure be routed back to the airbox(intake)?
944-SPEC #30 Norcal 2010 Champion
944-SPEC #23 non sunroof
1990 944 S2 street
2003 Mini Cooper S
Lofgren Construction
leafbranch.com/
Last Edit: 15 years, 9 months ago by rlofgren.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds