Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Oil cooler line help
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oil cooler line help

Oil cooler line help 15 years, 8 months ago #2052

I could not find instructions anywhere on how to properly install fittings on braided oil cooler lines. The fittings are just like these (pic below), and what I'm wondering is: do I have to strip back some of the braided shielding so that the fitting is just grabbing the hose, or is there a trick to getting the fitting on there with out fraying the braided stuff ? Thanks guys

Last Edit: 15 years, 8 months ago by cullenwinter.

Re:Oil cooler line help 15 years, 8 months ago #2054

• dmdirks
Cullen,

If you're cutting the hose:
Take some duct tape and wrap it around the hose where you want to cut it. Use a high speed cutting wheel to slice right through the hose. Remove the tape and you'll be left with a nicely cut off braid & hose.

Don't push back the braid! Also be sure to clean out the hose with some compressed air after cutting.

Lightly coat the barb and the inside of the hose with some motor oil to facilitate the installation of the hose onto the barb. It's a pain to get it all the way onto the barb, but it's do-able. Be sure to tighten the nut to the proper clearance to the fitting. That number should come with the fitting...if not, look it up. Try Earl's.

Be very careful with the mating surfaces of those aluminum AN fittings! Just a little scratch or bit of crud in between and they'll leak. Ask how I know.
David Dirks
www.944MotorWerks.com
2010 944-Spec National Champion
Rocky Mountain Region
Last Edit: 15 years, 8 months ago by dmdirks.

Re:Oil cooler line help 15 years, 8 months ago #2077

Gotter done, thanks Dave

edit: and they worked !! (no leaks)
Last Edit: 15 years, 8 months ago by cullenwinter.

Re:Oil cooler line help 15 years, 8 months ago #2081

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
Hi Cullen,
Glad to hear you have your car up and running. Looking forward to racing with you. Sorry to hear of the rebuild problems.
Lee

Re:Oil cooler line help 15 years, 7 months ago #2149

• MadConan
  • Drivers Ed
  • coming soon to a tire wall near you
Just as an FYI for anyone thinking of doing this....

If you can't afford braided ss line (like me) you can get socketless hose by Aeroquip and socketless fittings. They work very nicely.
#53 1986 944
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds