Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Newbie build and introduction
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Newbie build and introduction

Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 5 months ago #2651

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
Hey guys, I have already been welcomed by several of you out here and have been partially introduced by Sterling Doc (Thanks BTW).

I will be working on a spec buildup over the winter largely in part to Sterling Doc. I had already started and engine build for a friend of mine that wanted to get into spec racing, and now will not have the time. So, it has now turned into my personal project.

A little background on myself. I have a nuclear engineering degree from Purdue University, and what do I do with it?? I run my own shop One of the facets of the shop is offering affordably rebuilt cylinder heads to the 944 community. More information can be found on my website.

I also host a timing belt/wrenching get-together every year in August. The first one I actually held was way back in the mid 90's. I revived the get-together in 2007, and it has been going strong. The gathering includes everything from belt re-tensions to A/C repair, full front end jobs... but mostly it's a weekend for 944 owners to get together and share info.

If any of you know me from the Pelican board, you will also know that I loan out my P9201 on a regular basis to anyone who needs to tension their belts. I will gladly extend that offer to the users here! If anyone needs to borrow the tensioning tool, please email me and I will get you on the list!

I'm sure I will be around here quite often asking annoying questions about the build up. I swear I have gone through the rules sheet 20 times now making sure I get everything done correctly, but there are several things I will need to verify along the way!
Thanks again for the warm welcome, I look forward to a productive winter and an exiting race season!

-Nick

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 5 months ago #2652

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
Welcome Nick.
Great to have you on board. Let us know what you need.
Lee

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 5 months ago #2653

many944s wrote:
...I swear I have gone through the rules sheet 20 times now making sure I get everything done correctly, but there are several things I will need to verify along the way!
Thanks again for the warm welcome, I look forward to a productive winter and an exiting race season!

-Nick

Nick,
If you have any questions about rules I would happy to help you. We have tried to make the rule simple to comply with yet restrictive enough to ensure equal cars. Even so intent is not always conveyed properly.

For 2009 there we are doing a revision of the rules to make them more clearly state what can and can't be done to the cars. We antcipate no changes to any cars, but the change to the rules should make it easier for the new guys to figure out what they can and can't do.

So if anything is not clear please contact me.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 5 months ago #2655

Nick is picking up the donor chassis from Ray later this week.

Nick generously offered to help Ray & I out when we had our "transmission crisis" before Nationals. I am looking forward to having Nick join the 944 "street community" that he serves well, with the Spec racing community.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 5 months ago #2656

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
Since I am finising up the engine build, what is the ruling on the addition of the steam vent at the rear of the cylinder head? I would assume it is acceptable as it adds no HP advantage, but man does it make bleeding the cooling system a whole lot easier!!

-Nick

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 5 months ago #2660

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I am glad you guys have the winter to build spec cars. We here in So. Cal. have to go to Phoenix this weekend and race. Then we have to be at Willow Springs for the Porsche Owners Club race, then back to Phoenix with NASA again in early January for yet another race.

There is barely enought time to change the oil much less do any serious work on the car. I guess I will need to get another one as a spare! Oh well, I guess we all have our crosses to bear.

Welcome to the forum and the community and thanks for the generous offer to share the tensioning tool with our group of racers. You will fit right in here. Most everyone here helps others and are generous with their time and talents.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds