Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Newbie build and introduction
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Newbie build and introduction

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 4 months ago #2661

great info Nick ! "a steam vent" that sounds like a good idea.

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 4 months ago #2662

Big Dog wrote:
I am glad you guys have the winter to build spec cars. We here in So. Cal. have to go to Phoenix this weekend and race. Then we have to be at Willow Springs for the Porsche Owners Club race, then back to Phoenix with NASA again in early January for yet another race.

There is barely enought time to change the oil much less do any serious work on the car. I guess I will need to get another one as a spare! Oh well, I guess we all have our crosses to bear. ...
Big Dog

Jim is such a complainer...

See what we have to deal with over here.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 4 months ago #2679

• LVkid76
  • Junior Racer
Welcome,
Glad to see there are more people getting into the 944 spec racing. I met another guy here in LV that is looking to buy a 944 spec car. Hopefully we can get a group running here.

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 4 months ago #2680

Mike, where is "LV"?

We need to get Nick a ruling on the "steam vent" I think it's a good idea, but we need to describe it for the new rules, so it's clear what we're allowing. Nick, can you descibe the parts involved, and specifically where it goes?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 4 months ago #2681

Sterling Doc wrote:
Mike, where is "LV"?

We need to get Nick a ruling on the "steam vent" I think it's a good idea, but we need to describe it for the new rules, so it's clear what we're allowing. Nick, can you descibe the parts involved, and specifically where it goes?

Yes please send some info. I missed that post earlier.

Although I don't have any issues bleeding the cooling system as is. Just fill it with bleed screw open and then squeeze the upper hose to make sure there is no air. With no heating system this works fine. I just did it this weekend on a fresh motor.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Newbie build and introduction 15 years, 4 months ago #2682

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
I agree bleeding is usually simple, but bleeding-ease is just a bonus to the steam vent.

It's a fairly simple mod... A small hole is drilled and tapped into the water jacket at the top rear of the cylinder head, then an additional segment of tubing is run from a fitting at this new port to the coolant tank allowing steam to escape the rear of the head.
Several people have experienced the "hot spot" head gasket failure on cyl #4. Lindsey racing claims that the rear portion of the head collects a pocket of steam, thus creating the hot spot.
I have added the port to several cylinder heads that I have rebuilt, and simply install a small threaded pipe plug. Some customers install the steam vent, others run the head as/is with the plug. Here is the tech page from Lindsey Racing: www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...ode=STEAMVENTINSTALL

Thanks,
-Nick
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds