Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Hawk Pads - Questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hawk Pads - Questions

Hawk Pads - Questions 15 years, 3 months ago #3128

I currently run KFP Golds in my spec car and I do like them, however I was wondering how others like the Hawks and if anyone has tried both the KFP and Hawk and want ed to share their wisdom.

Not really looking to switch but just seeing whats out there and if it is worth my time to buy some to try them out. Thanks
- Blake

1988 Black Spec-944 #141 - McDonald's

Re:Hawk Pads - Questions 15 years, 3 months ago #3129

I started out racing on KFP Golds years ago. Nice pads. However at AMP there were a number of medium length straights and tightish corners. While no super heavy brakeing zones the medium in succession put heat in the pads. In 20 minutue session there was no issue. However in 30 minute race I would get fade in the last 10 mintues or so. Not real bad, but I did notice.

So I moved Hawk Blue pads. World of difference. They are easier to lock up, but take lots of heat and stop very very well for our cars. I have used them ever since and been happy.

Their only downside is if they are used cold they are harder on the rotors than other pads. Once up to temp they don't wear down the rotor so on track only car you heat them up and stop on them. Street use will never heat them up and may cause rapid rotor wear.

It all comes down to abrasive vs adhesive friction. They are abrasive cold and adhesive when at temp.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Hawk Pads - Questions 15 years, 2 months ago #3402

I started off using KFP Gold and they squeal like a pig but was ok until you start to drive faster and brake later. I switched to the Hawk Blues in the front and kept my KFP Golds in the rear and I found this was a great setup because I felt better control due to the rears not locking up as quickly. Try this combination and I think you will agree with me.

If I had to do it again, I would go with Hawk Blues in the fronts and Hawk HP+ in the rears as this is what a few of us NorCal Spec guys are doing.

Optimum brake pads and bias will depends upon what track(s) you are racing at.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds