Getting the glue off in the interior
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Getting the glue off in the interior

Getting the glue off in the interior 15 years, 3 months ago #3407

• mug23
  • Drivers Ed
Hello,

I'm in the process of taking some of the interior pieces out in the back seat and when I was taking the carpets out, there are like million pounds of glue Porsche uses to stick the carpets in there.

What do you guys use to take all that glue off? Heat gun? What chemicals can you use that would be easy?

Thanks

Re:Getting the glue off in the interior 15 years, 3 months ago #3410

• bay924s
  • Comp School
3M adhesive remover, elbow grease and a lot of rags worked for me....
Steve Huey
Norcal #106 and sometimes #95 1/2

Re:Getting the glue off in the interior 15 years, 3 months ago #3412

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
I've heard that brake cleaner works well on that stuff.

Or, you can go all out and use Xylol on it. Just be warned that that stuff is STS (Super Toxic $h*t) and should only be used in a well-ventilated area.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re:Getting the glue off in the interior 15 years, 3 months ago #3413

Xylene works great, but the fumes devour brain cells and latex or nitrile gloves. You need the gloves that they sell for furniture or paint stripping. Those still only last about 45 minutes, so get a few pairs !!

Re:Getting the glue off in the interior 15 years, 3 months ago #3415

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
It was after hardware store hours, so I tried various things I had laying around the garage. Goo-Gone did basically nothing. Heat gun just made a hotter, stickier mess.
Sounds wierd, but Charcoal Briquet Lighter Fluid works pretty well (and I don't mean lighting it)and it doesn't seem to harm the paint. I soaked it into some shop rags and layed them onto an area for awhile, then squirted some on an area and scraped with a plastic putty knife, followed by scrubbbing with a re-soaked rag.
I later went and bought 3M adhesive remover, works about the same as the lighter fluid but gave me a big ol headache. It did do a little better on the extra sticky glue used for the back seat, though.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:Getting the glue off in the interior 15 years, 3 months ago #3421

• mug23
  • Drivers Ed
Thank you all for the input. I like to avoid Xylene by all means. I will try 3M adhesive remover and lighter fluid first to see how those work.

should I do this in a warmer weather or like to a 40-50 degree weather?
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds